Health update

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Post Reply
User avatar
smokinsteve
The Generous
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: Texas

Health update

Post by smokinsteve » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 pm

Quick update on what’s been going on with my health since the accident. First of all, thank you for all of your prayers and support. My recovery is going much better than I expected despite a few setbacks. I have developed a little infection in my severely damaged foot. Because of this, I’ve been on IV antibiotics for the past week and half to keep the infection from spreading. Also, me and my doctors have decided that my best option for my future quality of life is to amputate my lower leg below my knee. I’m scheduled to go in for surgery on the 17th of this month. I feel like I am mentally prepared for this. But I’m still a bit nervous. This is totally new territory for me.

On a positive note. My femur and knee are healing very well. The pain has gone down considerably in the last two weeks. I’m am getting stronger and more mobile every day. Normal day to day tasks are becoming easier.

Still haven’t been able to smoke a pipe or cigar yet. But, I’ll be able to do so soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke on!

User avatar
akpreacher
Gordo
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:59 am

Re: Health update

Post by akpreacher » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:33 am

Oh man that’s a tough decision brother! Thanks for the update I’m still praying for you!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
815DC
Curmudgeon In Training
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:17 pm
Location: Nowhere Special

Re: Health update

Post by 815DC » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:12 am

akpreacher wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:33 am
Oh man that’s a tough decision brother! Thanks for the update I’m still praying for you!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

User avatar
Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas
Posts: 1251
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:22 pm
Location: Havana. Esteli. Santiago.

Re: Health update

Post by Zedman05 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Duuuuude. That is a crazy situation. Glad to see you are taking things in preportion. I commend you for your mental stability.

I really do hope everything goes well.

User avatar
smokinsteve
The Generous
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Health update

Post by smokinsteve » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:07 pm

akpreacher wrote:Oh man that’s a tough decision brother! Thanks for the update I’m still praying for you!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Preacher!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke on!

User avatar
smokinsteve
The Generous
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Health update

Post by smokinsteve » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:07 pm

815DC wrote:
akpreacher wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:33 am
Oh man that’s a tough decision brother! Thanks for the update I’m still praying for you!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto
Thanks DC!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke on!

User avatar
smokinsteve
The Generous
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Health update

Post by smokinsteve » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:10 pm

Zedman05 wrote:Duuuuude. That is a crazy situation. Glad to see you are taking things in preportion. I commend you for your mental stability.

I really do hope everything goes well.
Yes it’s pretty a pretty wild ride. Thanks for your support!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke on!

User avatar
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Health update

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:30 pm

smokinsteve wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 pm
Quick update on what’s been going on with my health since the accident. First of all, thank you for all of your prayers and support. My recovery is going much better than I expected despite a few setbacks. I have developed a little infection in my severely damaged foot. Because of this, I’ve been on IV antibiotics for the past week and half to keep the infection from spreading. Also, me and my doctors have decided that my best option for my future quality of life is to amputate my lower leg below my knee. I’m scheduled to go in for surgery on the 17th of this month. I feel like I am mentally prepared for this. But I’m still a bit nervous. This is totally new territory for me.

On a positive note. My femur and knee are healing very well. The pain has gone down considerably in the last two weeks. I’m am getting stronger and more mobile every day. Normal day to day tasks are becoming easier.

Still haven’t been able to smoke a pipe or cigar yet. But, I’ll be able to do so soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is just insanity. Wow. I know you must be having existential thoughts of your own but I'm left pondering "one day it all changed". I can't even imagine where you are with everything. Whats your mobility like now? Is pain managed, even in the lower leg or are you tolerating a new normal? Gosh, I have to echo Zedman's thoughts. Your mental stability is commendable. My leg infection weighs heavily on me and it's nowhere near what you're going through. Be strong, brother. We're all here for whatever is needed of us.

User avatar
smokinsteve
The Generous
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Health update

Post by smokinsteve » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:27 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
smokinsteve wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 pm
Quick update on what’s been going on with my health since the accident. First of all, thank you for all of your prayers and support. My recovery is going much better than I expected despite a few setbacks. I have developed a little infection in my severely damaged foot. Because of this, I’ve been on IV antibiotics for the past week and half to keep the infection from spreading. Also, me and my doctors have decided that my best option for my future quality of life is to amputate my lower leg below my knee. I’m scheduled to go in for surgery on the 17th of this month. I feel like I am mentally prepared for this. But I’m still a bit nervous. This is totally new territory for me.

On a positive note. My femur and knee are healing very well. The pain has gone down considerably in the last two weeks. I’m am getting stronger and more mobile every day. Normal day to day tasks are becoming easier.

Still haven’t been able to smoke a pipe or cigar yet. But, I’ll be able to do so soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is just insanity. Wow. I know you must be having existential thoughts of your own but I'm left pondering "one day it all changed". I can't even imagine where you are with everything. Whats your mobility like now? Is pain managed, even in the lower leg or are you tolerating a new normal? Gosh, I have to echo Zedman's thoughts. Your mental stability is commendable. My leg infection weighs heavily on me and it's nowhere near what you're going through. Be strong, brother. We're all here for whatever is needed of us.
Yes it is very insane. I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the whole thing. I’ve accepted it, but I still don’t understand it. My mobility is not good right now. My bad foot is in an external halo type thing. I can’t put any weight on my left leg. I’m limited to a walker and wheelchair. The pain hasn’t been terrible in my lower leg. It’s more of an annoyance than bad pain. But I still have prescription meds for when it does hurt. Things will be better after the amputation. I will actually get to recover and move past the accident.

I feel for you dealing with your infection. I know how hard that is. Is your leg getting better? I really appreciate your support!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke on!

User avatar
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Health update

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:42 pm

smokinsteve wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:27 pm
kurtdesign1 wrote:
smokinsteve wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 pm
Quick update on what’s been going on with my health since the accident. First of all, thank you for all of your prayers and support. My recovery is going much better than I expected despite a few setbacks. I have developed a little infection in my severely damaged foot. Because of this, I’ve been on IV antibiotics for the past week and half to keep the infection from spreading. Also, me and my doctors have decided that my best option for my future quality of life is to amputate my lower leg below my knee. I’m scheduled to go in for surgery on the 17th of this month. I feel like I am mentally prepared for this. But I’m still a bit nervous. This is totally new territory for me.
On a positive note. My femur and knee are healing very well. The pain has gone down considerably in the last two weeks. I’m am getting stronger and more mobile every day. Normal day to day tasks are becoming easier.
Still haven’t been able to smoke a pipe or cigar yet. But, I’ll be able to do so soon.
This is just insanity. Wow. I know you must be having existential thoughts of your own but I'm left pondering "one day it all changed". I can't even imagine where you are with everything. Whats your mobility like now? Is pain managed, even in the lower leg or are you tolerating a new normal? Gosh, I have to echo Zedman's thoughts. Your mental stability is commendable. My leg infection weighs heavily on me and it's nowhere near what you're going through. Be strong, brother. We're all here for whatever is needed of us.
Yes it is very insane. I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the whole thing. I’ve accepted it, but I still don’t understand it. My mobility is not good right now. My bad foot is in an external halo type thing. I can’t put any weight on my left leg. I’m limited to a walker and wheelchair. The pain hasn’t been terrible in my lower leg. It’s more of an annoyance than bad pain. But I still have prescription meds for when it does hurt. Things will be better after the amputation. I will actually get to recover and move past the accident.

I feel for you dealing with your infection. I know how hard that is. Is your leg getting better? I really appreciate your support!
Look, one thing's for sure. My leg is no where near what you're dealing with. I can walk nearly as I did before and I am in no pain when sitting or standing traditionally. My frustration comes from that near normality and then regularly "forgetting" I still need to be careful. I jump into my car or turn abruptly on my feet and I get a jolt of pain. My swelling comes and goes and I'm getting an MRI to have the abscess located for removal. I believe my surgery will be a little outpatient thing so again, no where near your situation. All I'm trying to align is the frustration that comes from a new normal when you're reminded of it. I hope (and so it seems) that you are handling it better than I am. ESPECIALLY considering that yours comes from such a significant trauma. I really do hope the best for you, for whatever that's worth.

Post Reply