Anomalies

Here's where you can git yer learnin' on...maybe some rolling instruction from our resident torcedors, leafy lessons from Craig, or recommendations from the rest of us....
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Anomalies

Post by Kip » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:33 am

I posted this on the Half Ashed Facebook page, but since no one ever sees that I figured I'd drop it here too:

"A patch applied to the wrapper leaf of a cigar is generally harmless, and an aesthetic issue at worst. Large, poorly applied ones that leak air into the draw through the underlying gaping hole are very bothersome and make me irritable that I paid full price for an inferior experience. Yes, I'm that crotchety old guy. Still...I don't like it."

I didn't get a pic because it was too dark, but this was on one of the Viaje MOAB. I don't mind the aesthetic flaw, but this completely hosed the burn. I was very irritated after having to fight with it so much. I eventually just put it down and went about other business. I hate the idea of feeling like cigars need to be vetted before purchase (who wants somebody fondling all their cigars?)...but after this happening with this line more than once I'll either do that or simply refrain from buying any more. Which is not optimal since I typically enjoy them.

Current cigar budget being what it is, I'm far more sensitive to issues with every cigar I put fire to. In the past, I wouldn't have cared - although I should have. Historically, I've probably been a little too lenient on makers. I believe I'll embrace my crotchetiness....
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

TomD
Tatuaje. Black.

Post by TomD » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:02 am

My crotchiteness increases daily

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:50 pm

Duck face...Image

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:40 am

This week's anomaly, as mentioned on the show last night. It's a Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust Sobremesa. No idea what the marker means... Image

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 pm

Obviously the point in the cigar where you are in prime goatee burning danger! :P
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Post by f.sinagra » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:22 pm

Kip wrote:This week's anomaly, as mentioned on the show last night. It's a Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust Sobremesa. No idea what the marker means... Image

Wonder if Saka knows why that’s there... Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:12 pm

Kip wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:40 am
This week's anomaly, as mentioned on the show last night. It's a Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust Sobremesa. No idea what the marker means... Image

“Stop smoking here.”
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:58 am

f.sinagra wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:22 pm
Kip wrote:This week's anomaly, as mentioned on the show last night. It's a Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust Sobremesa. No idea what the marker means... Image

Wonder if Saka knows why that’s there... Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's an interesting question, Frank. My guess is that this is more factory than brand owner type stuff but I'd be interested to know. Saka was always more involved than I expected so perhaps I'd be surprised by the answer. Anyone have a line? If I'm guessing, I'd think he'd give you more of a hard time abotu taking the wrapper off than there being marker on the binder.