The Great Wrapper Experiment

Here's where you can git yer learnin' on...maybe some rolling instruction from our resident torcedors, leafy lessons from Craig, or recommendations from the rest of us....
IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Re: The Great Wrapper Experiment

Post by IWinchester » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:33 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
IWinchester wrote: The Habano 2000 was the best wrapper for my filler/binder, but the Ecuador Shade could be magical of left to rest for 6 months to a year. I echo Zed's view that the Maduro wrapper was very uncharacteristic for a Maduro. All in all, very well made sticks and delightful to smoke and review!!
Your conclusions are frustrating to read (not anything you did, mate). I'll be interested to see if we can chat up our reasons a bit more after Kip. I really am interested if the blends didn't work or if the wrappers didn't lend positively to the experience. I'm not getting what I think to be similar results to what I expected to read here. Damn.
Agreed. There is wayyyy more going on with wrappers than I thought. Add to that our own personal preferences and it makes me feel like we've run into the desert without any water...
WHAT CAN OF WORMS IS THIS?!!?!

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:58 am

I think what we're seeing across the board, as a generality, is that creating cigars is like creating a food dish. While we may completely enjoy all of the components when they are alone, there is no guarantee that we will like them in combination. Hence, the Habano 2000 was the "winner" for Ian's and Zed's sticks, Craig's and mine were most well-covered by the corojo wrapper. I like catchup and onions, but probably not in my vanilla ice cream.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:42 pm

A few minutes into his interview, Fred Rewey talks about how he goes about blending cigars. It's very much like what I described. Give it a listen...

http://stogiegeeks.com/2015/11/23/stogi ... rewey.html

start at 11:45 for this, specifically.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Boy, a guy gets busy and has a couple days under the weather without cigars and he takes a lot of crap around here....I'll get these smoked pronto. Or, maybe I mean "mañana" :P
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:35 pm

Kip wrote:Boy, a guy gets busy and has a couple days under the weather without cigars and he takes a lot of crap around here....I'll get these smoked pronto. Or, maybe I mean "mañana" :P
Wondered to whereabouts you'd gone "hiding..."
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:39 am

Stewmuse wrote:A few minutes into his interview, Fred Rewey talks about how he goes about blending cigars. It's very much like what I described. Give it a listen...

That's two SG links from you that I see this morning. Have you changed your tune?

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:34 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Stewmuse wrote:A few minutes into his interview, Fred Rewey talks about how he goes about blending cigars. It's very much like what I described. Give it a listen...

That's two SG links from you that I see this morning. Have you changed your tune?
Probably not. I started out on Will Cooper's site and then was looking for the "celebrity" interviews.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.