What the heck?!?

Here's where you can git yer learnin' on...maybe some rolling instruction from our resident torcedors, leafy lessons from Craig, or recommendations from the rest of us....
IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Re: What the heck?!?

Post by IWinchester » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:43 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:Sometimes we combine the niche with the norm and end up with laws that ensure nothing but fear.
Holy crap. Schneider for President!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:59 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:An old friend was relatively close to proving that barometric pressure played into the equation.
Interesting. For some reason it didn't occur to me originally, but this is a very intriguing point. Gases absolutely interact with the physical world very differently at differing pressures. In scuba diving this is quite apparent. For example, Oxygen becomes toxic at a partial pressure greater than 1.6atm. One can expedite decompression at the end of a dive with 100% O2....but if you switch to your O2 tank deeper than 20ish feet, it's toxic. You would typically convulsed and die. Deco divers go to great lengths to make their final-stop regulator and tank arrangement confusion-proof for this reason. It would make sense that different atmospheric pressure would impact other interactions as well. Now, the pressure differential above sea-level is miniscule compared to the pressures achievable underwater, but still there's a measurable difference. The key would likely lie in knowing *which* gases have an impact on cigars during aging. You could then work out how the partial pressure of this gas and experiment at different altitudes to see the difference. Of course, finding a control in a product as varied as cigars would be tough. None the less, I'm now fascinated by this lone of thinking.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:19 am

Kip wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:59 am
kurtdesign1 wrote:An old friend was relatively close to proving that barometric pressure played into the equation.
Interesting. For some reason it didn't occur to me originally, but this is a very intriguing point. Gases absolutely interact with the physical world very differently at differing pressures. In scuba diving this is quite apparent. For example, Oxygen becomes toxic at a partial pressure greater than 1.6atm. One can expedite decompression at the end of a dive with 100% O2....but if you switch to your O2 tank deeper than 20ish feet, it's toxic. You would typically convulsed and die. Deco divers go to great lengths to make their final-stop regulator and tank arrangement confusion-proof for this reason. It would make sense that different atmospheric pressure would impact other interactions as well. Now, the pressure differential above sea-level is miniscule compared to the pressures achievable underwater, but still there's a measurable difference. The key would likely lie in knowing *which* gases have an impact on cigars during aging. You could then work out how the partial pressure of this gas and experiment at different altitudes to see the difference. Of course, finding a control in a product as varied as cigars would be tough. None the less, I'm now fascinated by this lone of thinking.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk
Thanks for responding so promptly. :)
My friend's name was/is Hawkan and he used to own the website vintagecigarclub .com
He was hospitalized in 2008 with a severe case of plaque psorisis and never got around to finishing what he had been theorizing about pressure. He felt that it greatly impacted all aspects of how a cigar smoked, stored and stayed in proper condition. I wish I even had the footnotes to his work but all he ever did was discuss this very basic idea while whetting our appetite for his findings. He was a Swede living in Brisbane and set to move once his illness cleared up. I have no way to track him again.