Big Day

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Re: Big Day

Post by jledou » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:29 am

Can't imagine the amount of stress and excitement going through your house right now. I hope you can embrace the excitement and forget some of the stress.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:00 pm

As Kip certainly knows, and many of the forum-folk may also, the opportunities that I’ve had in the DR, largely through Kip and his family’s generosity and hospitality, are some of the most-treasured I’ve ever experienced. Working through Kip, being able to meet, interact with, and even entertain dozens of people in the northern sections of the country has been rewarding on several levels. You don’t really know a people or culture until you’ve experienced them or it first hand. Not that I’m an expert, here.

It’s through people like Kip, and opportunities afforded through him, that I have been able to see a different side of this world. A distinctively non-American and certainly less privileged way of life, but one that shows that people everywhere want to have the opportunity to be happy, to love, and to be loved. Life can be, really, that simple.

When, on my first visit (or, perhaps, the lead-up to), Kip asked me why I wanted to visit him, my response was that I thought that the fewer unhappy people there were in the world, the better off we’d all be. My visits there have not dissuaded me from this idea. So, thank you, Kip, Kristy, Kendal, and Kaleb, for allowing me to disrupt your lives four times, and for the friendships and experiences I gained in your company.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:07 pm

So. Stuff happens. We were minding our own business and following the plan I described above as of two weeks ago when the plans all went out the window. The former director of Kristi's school had recruited her previously to come work at the school he's now at in Florida, but it's in a very expensive area so we didn't really consider it an option based on past experience with the pay scale in private education. Well, two weeks ago he contacted me and told me his facilities director is leaving and asked if I'd come interview for the job because I'd done similar work in my past career with project and fleet management. So, last week we flew up and made the rounds. It went well and they offered us both positions at suitable salary to live in that part of the world...so we accepted. It's been an absolute whirlwind of a week, but I am now flying out tomorrow to spend next week trying to get a vehicle, apartment, etc. - and will begin work May 3. Kristi will finish out her commitment to the school here and begin with the new school year.

It's a huge deal for us to make this move both employed, as it was going to be a stretch to live on our small reserve with only her working until I found work with our previous plan. I abhor the idea of leaving without her for the next few weeks, but we'll survive. I'm very excited with the new plan though. We'll now be in Jupiter, FL - a couple hours south of the former plan, on the northern border of Palm Beach County. We originally wanted to relocate there when we first moved to FL over 20 years ago, but had long written that off because of the cost of living and work prospects, so this is kind of a dream move for us.

We're wildly excited...with a little trepidation because of 1) the months of planning going off the rails and 2) the sheer number of moving parts to this move. It may not be easy or stress free, but will definitely not be boring. I'm stoked to say the least. It doesn't hurt that this is some of the best fishing and diving waters in all Florida. We drove the long haul of about 3 miles to the water from the school between meetings last week, and I wasn't disappointed....

IMG-0141.jpg
IMG-0141.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 8038 times
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:08 am

As you already know my feelings about this, I'll be brief. Welcome home, man! You've taken an arduous and humbling journey, but one about which I doubt you'll ever have many, if any, serious regrets. Be proud of yourselves and, as always, very best wishes.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:12 pm

Kip wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:07 pm
So. Stuff happens. We were minding our own business and following the plan I described above as of two weeks ago when the plans all went out the window. The former director of Kristi's school had recruited her previously to come work at the school he's now at in Florida, but it's in a very expensive area so we didn't really consider it an option based on past experience with the pay scale in private education. Well, two weeks ago he contacted me and told me his facilities director is leaving and asked if I'd come interview for the job because I'd done similar work in my past career with project and fleet management. So, last week we flew up and made the rounds. It went well and they offered us both positions at suitable salary to live in that part of the world...so we accepted. It's been an absolute whirlwind of a week, but I am now flying out tomorrow to spend next week trying to get a vehicle, apartment, etc. - and will begin work May 3. Kristi will finish out her commitment to the school here and begin with the new school year.

It's a huge deal for us to make this move both employed, as it was going to be a stretch to live on our small reserve with only her working until I found work with our previous plan. I abhor the idea of leaving without her for the next few weeks, but we'll survive. I'm very excited with the new plan though. We'll now be in Jupiter, FL - a couple hours south of the former plan, on the northern border of Palm Beach County. We originally wanted to relocate there when we first moved to FL over 20 years ago, but had long written that off because of the cost of living and work prospects, so this is kind of a dream move for us.

We're wildly excited...with a little trepidation because of 1) the months of planning going off the rails and 2) the sheer number of moving parts to this move. It may not be easy or stress free, but will definitely not be boring. I'm stoked to say the least. It doesn't hurt that this is some of the best fishing and diving waters in all Florida. We drove the long haul of about 3 miles to the water from the school between meetings last week, and I wasn't disappointed....

IMG-0141.jpg
God is good Kip. He has a plan that is for our best interests so long as we are brave enough to go along. It seems like going from your plan to going on faith is working our for you my friend. Best wishes and will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Thu May 20, 2021 11:13 am

Well we know you don't have anything going on Kip, but are you keeping your head above water here?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri May 21, 2021 8:16 am

jledou wrote:Well we know you don't have anything going on Kip, but are you keeping your head above water here?
Working on it. After a month of living out of a suitcase on couches, AirBnB, and Holiday Inns, I'm finally getting into an apartment this evening. My son and I are here but Kristi and our daughter are still in the DR. I'm supposed to fly back down week after next for graduation, then back here on the 6th....etc ..TN...etc...it'll settle down eventually

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Fri May 21, 2021 9:20 am

Kip wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:16 am
jledou wrote:Well we know you don't have anything going on Kip, but are you keeping your head above water here?
Working on it. After a month of living out of a suitcase on couches, AirBnB, and Holiday Inns, I'm finally getting into an apartment this evening. My son and I are here but Kristi and our daughter are still in the DR. I'm supposed to fly back down week after next for graduation, then back here on the 6th....etc ..TN...etc...it'll settle down eventually

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk
Good to hear you are getting a place to call home base. With all the upheaval that will at least be a small bit of "normal". Let us all know if you need anything Kip.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:54 pm

4th of July back in the states, what is the over/under on Kip still having all 11 fingers on the 5th :D

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:14 am

jledou wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:54 pm
4th of July back in the states, what is the over/under on Kip still having all 11 fingers on the 5th :D
That sir- is a poll question😁
Why DOES the moon follow the car?