The Night Sky

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Cabaiguan juan
Churchill

The Night Sky

Post by Cabaiguan juan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:13 pm

Back when I was younger I knew enough constellations to make looking up at the night sky a fun exercise. How ever these days all in can remember is Orion and the Big Dipper. Does anyone know of an App that would help me in finding constellations in the night sky? I checked out a few but I needed a map grid to utilize their reference points. Help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Re: The Night Sky

Post by f.sinagra » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:51 pm

Cabaiguan juan wrote:Back when I was younger I knew enough constellations to make looking up at the night sky a fun exercise. How ever these days all in can remember is Orion and the Big Dipper. Does anyone know of an App that would help me in finding constellations in the night sky? I checked out a few but I needed a map grid to utilize their reference points. Help.

ImageThere is one you can pay for, but I’ve used this one to entertain myself with awhile back lol

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:58 pm

I listen to a fun podcast that brings common scientific items into our understanding, or, field of vision. Basically, what do we use to run our lives (electricity, communications, water, hospitals, etc) and what is its history? When the topic of navigation came up, I was struck with the complexity of one factoid:

Over 3,000 pacific islands were colonized at least a thousand years ago with no mechanical equipment and with repeatable success. Think about that...

10,000 miles of seemingly endless ocean able to be traversed repeatedly and successfully enough to have all islands speak variations of the same language and have variations on the same cultural phenomenons. The islanders navigated half the globe with nothing more than the stars.
Ho
Lee
Shit

Podcast is called Shabaam

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:51 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:58 pm
I listen to a fun podcast that brings common scientific items into our understanding, or, field of vision. Basically, what do we use to run our lives (electricity, communications, water, hospitals, etc) and what is its history? When the topic of navigation came up, I was struck with the complexity of one factoid:

Over 3,000 pacific islands were colonized at least a thousand years ago with no mechanical equipment and with repeatable success. Think about that...

10,000 miles of seemingly endless ocean able to be traversed repeatedly and successfully enough to have all islands speak variations of the same language and have variations on the same cultural phenomenons. The islanders navigated half the globe with nothing more than the stars.
Ho
Lee
Shit

Podcast is called Shabaam
Mr. Shit was an excellent navigator :lol: