Whats in your bowl?

Whatcha have? Whatcha know? Whatcha do?
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Whats in your bowl?

Post by Kip » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:54 am

Gonna open this tin from @815DC today. I'll have some this afternoon and see how it goes..... Image

Sent via Caribbean smoke signal

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:54 pm

Lighting it up now... Image

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:35 pm

Kip wrote:Gonna open this tin from @815DC today. I'll have some this afternoon and see how it goes..... Image

Just read smoking pipes description on this tobacco. Sounds interesting, and like something I would enjoy. What say you about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke on!

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:36 pm

Coins of joy. Escudo!

Smoke on!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:42 am

smokinsteve wrote:
Kip wrote:Gonna open this tin from @815DC today. I'll have some this afternoon and see how it goes..... Image

Just read smoking pipes description on this tobacco. Sounds interesting, and like something I would enjoy. What say you about it?

When I first popped the tin I thought it may have been flavored because it had a deep plumlike sweetness, but whatever it was quickly dissipated into a slightly fruity, VA-ish sweetness. After smoking a bowl last night and one right now, it reminds me a lot of some of the Solani VA blends. Granted, I haven't smoked any of their tobacco in a decade, but that's what it brings to mind. It is a very straightforward blend that has just enough Perique to temper the VA twang that's still present in the background. It isn't flipping my lid as something exotic and new...but is very pleasant to smoke.

I'm not sure if Russ is still involved in the H&H blending, or to what degree, but this is of a noticeably different character than what I remember from the early pre-sale H&H days. It doesn't have that dark, chewy VA presence that I remember from his Virginia based blends back then.

The burley mentioned in the description is modest but lends a slight nuttiness to the flavor. The description also mentions Cavendish, which can at times be a turnoff for me because it can turn bitter once lit if in too much proportion, but I'm happy to report that isn't the case. It lends enough sweetness that the blend would serve well for someone transitioning out of heavily flavored blends, but is not cloying for those of us who don't much care for syrupy tobacco.

Overall, it's very good. I probably wouldn't stockpile 10 lb. of it were I to be cellar-building, but it'd be a good candidate for keeping enough around to regularly reach for it.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:31 pm

Kip wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:42 am
smokinsteve wrote:
Kip wrote:Gonna open this tin from @815DC today. I'll have some this afternoon and see how it goes.....

When I first popped the tin I thought it may have been flavored because it had a deep plumlike sweetness, but whatever it was quickly dissipated into a slightly fruity, VA-ish sweetness. After smoking a bowl last night and one right now, it reminds me a lot of some of the Solani VA blends. Granted, I haven't smoked any of their tobacco in a decade, but that's what it brings to mind. It is a very straightforward blend that has just enough Perique to temper the VA twang that's still present in the background. It isn't flipping my lid as something exotic and new...but is very pleasant to smoke.

I'm not sure if Russ is still involved in the H&H blending, or to what degree, but this is of a noticeably different character than what I remember from the early pre-sale H&H days. It doesn't have that dark, chewy VA presence that I remember from his Virginia based blends back then.

The burley mentioned in the description is modest but lends a slight nuttiness to the flavor. The description also mentions Cavendish, which can at times be a turnoff for me because it can turn bitter once lit if in too much proportion, but I'm happy to report that isn't the case. It lends enough sweetness that the blend would serve well for someone transitioning out of heavily flavored blends, but is not cloying for those of us who don't much care for syrupy tobacco.

Overall, it's very good. I probably wouldn't stockpile 10 lb. of it were I to be cellar-building, but it'd be a good candidate for keeping enough around to regularly reach for it.

This is a great Pipe Tobacco review. So many that I've seen are not half as descriptive in their similes or nearly as clear with their summary. Thanks Kip. I have an actual sense of that tobacco now.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:48 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Kip wrote:
smokinsteve wrote: Just read smoking pipes description on this tobacco. Sounds interesting, and like something I would enjoy. What say you about it?

This is a great Pipe Tobacco review. So many that I've seen are not half as descriptive in their similes or nearly as clear with their summary. Thanks Kip. I have an actual sense of that tobacco now.

I reckon even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while. I wasn't even writing a 'review'; I was just answering the question and got a little wordy.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:22 am

Kip wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:48 am
kurtdesign1 wrote:
Kip wrote:

I reckon even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while. I wasn't even writing a 'review'; I was just answering the question and got a little wordy.

Do it again. Would you mind doing it on some of the blends oft discussed here? Escudo, Marlin Flake, Light Flake, etc?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:25 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Kip wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:48 am
kurtdesign1 wrote: This is a great Pipe Tobacco review. So many that I've seen are not half as descriptive in their similes or nearly as clear with their summary. Thanks Kip. I have an actual sense of that tobacco now.

Do it again. Would you mind doing it on some of the blends oft discussed here? Escudo, Marlin Flake, Light Flake, etc?
I'll get around to it. You can't force brilliance.

:)

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:26 am

Continuing on with the Hearth & Home Viprati.... Image