Half Ashed live?

Ask us about or recommend show cigars, guests, segments, topics, stupid things we've said, etc. You can even just tell us we suck here...
Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Re: Half Ashed live?

Post by Zedman05 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:29 pm

It is too bad about the last show and the sound issues. Did you get those resolved yet ? Are you 2 expecting this Friday now, or did it all just get messed up ?

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:32 am

They did it saturday night. Listened to the podcast yesterday/today.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Stewmuse wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:32 am
They did it saturday night. Listened to the podcast yesterday/today.
Negatory. You got an old episode in your podcast feed. We did not record last week. I hope we're trying again this week...

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Zedman05 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:29 pm
It is too bad about the last show and the sound issues. Did you get those resolved yet ? Are you 2 expecting this Friday now, or did it all just get messed up ?
Hoping for this weekend. I'm much more free.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:50 pm

I should be good either Saturday or Sunday, but not Friday. My kid is in a play Friday night so we'll be out late.

Sent via Caribbean smoke signal

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:08 pm

Kip wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:50 pm
I should be good either Saturday or Sunday, but not Friday. My kid is in a play Friday night so we'll be out late.

We did not record this weekend but (I believe) hope to this friday. Hope you all can join us!

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sat May 25, 2019 12:16 am

Tonight I’m enjoying watching last week’s show. (Most 😃) always a treat to do so. Not to be a whiny little bitch (old habits die hard, you know), and I know that circumstances can cause last-minute cancellations, but it would be REALLY nice if you guys could be better at announcing live recordings. Being “part” of the show in the chatroom really helps in connecting with you guys and helps keep this forum more active.

Perhaps you feel more comfortable doing the show this way, but there’s definitely a different, better (to me) vibe when there is interaction between you and the chat. Maybe a “sticky” thread that just announces the shows. It seems like a crapshoot to find where these announcements are occasionally left. My two cents...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat May 25, 2019 6:16 pm

I can do that. I just haven't recently because the schedule has been chaotic with the new projects we've been doing and such, and the chat has been sparse either way.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:37 pm

I think what Mike is saying is that there is very little pre-show announcement that there will be a show at all. No facebook posts, no instagram mentions, just the main half ashed live page notification an hour or, if lucky, 2.
I too like the live interactions as well. The hosts may not, but it is like our own community getting a chance to get together.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon May 27, 2019 12:14 am

Zedman05 wrote:I think what Mike is saying is that there is very little pre-show announcement that there will be a show at all. No facebook posts, no instagram mentions, just the main half ashed live page notification an hour or, if lucky, 2.
I too like the live interactions as well. The hosts may not, but it is like our own community getting a chance to get together.
I know what he's saying and understood the sentiment. Let's figure out the prevailing preference for notification, as I don't have a lot of confidence in many of the social media platforms these days. Without my paying for ad $, things disappear into the void. Here's where I'm at with the various connections. I'm good with most any except Facebook:

FACEBOOK
There will likely *never* be a Facebook post. FB has made their venue entirely worthless unless payment is involved. Without paying for it, roughly 1-3% of the people who've liked the page see a post...and they (FB) like to ferret out anything tobacco related and shut it off even further when their personnel find it. They have public policy forbidding tobacco advertising and notified me when I tried to use it that we qualified for such - because even though we don't 'advertise' per se, we encourage tobacco use. I'd signed up to market the page and someone reported it so I was warned for violating their TOS. As a whole, Facebook is nothing more to me now than a source for Dominican news. Of the 400 or so people who've liked the Half Ashed page, about a dozen see a post I made over the 2 day period following the post.

INSTAGRAM
Instagram is owned by FB and follows its lead, albeit a couple years behind in many respects, but I still use it some - although I don't have a lot of noteworthy things to photograph. I'm open to it still, though. It's probably my favorite platform at the moment.

TWITTER
Does anybody actually read Twitter any more? It's easy enough to tweet, but the platform is so cluttered that posts are often lost in the shuffle. Again, unless someone goes out of their way seeking a post, it gets buried. Someone who follows hundreds or thousands of accounts won't likely see it - but I'm not averse.

GOOGLE+
RIP. It never was more than a niche platform anyway, or at least a platform of niches.

Honestly, I tapered off bothering to post via social media because the chat room waned and twice I took crap for sharing via *too many* channels. I realize the schedule is wonky, but for a long time when I did take the time to post ahead of time, there'd be 2-3 folks show up for the chat. The downloads held steady, but not many people were showing up for a live show. It seemed somewhat pointless as the people who were coming came with or without social media posts. I'm sure recording on Friday night plays a part, as many folks have plans. Mike often has jobs on Friday nights, and you have kids' games, right?

I will certainly give it another go, but it will have to make a difference to persist and people will have to show up. I'm OK with the idea, and will post to a platform or two, with the caveat that the days when I was able to have a finger simultaneously on the pulse of 4-5 media platforms are gone, at least for now.

For quite some time I've felt unhinged from the cigar community and frankly I could use some more of it. I tend to be cyclical, and I'm cycled into a time it'd be nice to have a little more community. On a personal note, last year royally sucked for me in many ways that aren't worth delving into here. This year has been much, much better, but for various reasons life here can feel very isolated at times. I'm in a good place these days, but more honest community is always a good thing. To be truthful, the consumers/listeners/regular guys like me that I've encountered through this show are the only *real* community I've experienced via cigars.

Not to be too overly cynical, but I call utter BS on a large majority of cigar manufacturers' poetic idealizations about their love of community, media, and consumers. My experience with maintaining a lot of 'friendships' with people within the industry has been very different. Many seemed to become instantly unavailable and disinterested the moment they thought my ability or likelihood of fostering their brand faltered in the least. And I'm not speaking of samples, swag, etc. I mean even bothering to return a message or take some time for a chat in an informal setting - or even honoring their word. I idealized a lot of cigar industry 'brotherhood' and such in years past, but the chutzpah I've seen in recent years, coupled with fake facades has made me a little cynical with many who proclaim such loving bond with the brotherhood of the leaf. Maybe I'm just the a-hole who repels most folk. Maybe I'm just older and crotchety. I don't know. There truly are genuine people who work in this industry....just a lot fewer than I used to think.

Good grief. Y'all got me monologuing.

Sorry for the rambling. I'll shut it off before I really get wound up :)