Whats in your bowl?

Whatcha have? Whatcha know? Whatcha do?
smokinsteve
The Generous

Re: Whats in your bowl?

Post by smokinsteve » Thu May 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Smoking a small bowl of Five Brothers tobacco.
This is a shag cut straight burley blend. It’s kind of an old codger blend. Could be “pipe tobacco” meant for rolling cigarettes. It’s actually pretty tasty and enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke on!

smokinsteve
The Generous

Whats in your bowl?

Post by smokinsteve » Thu May 09, 2019 9:36 pm

Moved on to a bowl of Gawith Hoggarth & co Dark Bird Eye
This is a dark fired Kentucky and Virginia mix that is somewhat shag cut as well. It has a rich woodsy somewhat sweet flavor. It also has a hint of the floral Lakeland essence. I really like dark fired Kentucky.

Update: LOTS of vitamin N here! I like a strong bowl here and there after dinner in the evenings. Should age well. Glad I bought a pound.

Smoke on!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri May 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Another tin I bought as a single, threw into the cabinet, and forgot about. March 2010 Brebbia #70. Says it's a 'Classic English', but either it was cased with a flavoring agent or it has aged very sweetly. We'll see. It's a first for me. I've smoked a few of their other numbered blends but I don't think I've had this one before.

PS - Look at the size of the cut! I feel like I should run it through a paper shredder before loading it in a pipe....

Sent via Caribbean smoke signal

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Fri May 10, 2019 11:58 pm

Kip wrote:Another tin I bought as a single, threw into the cabinet, and forgot about. March 2010 Brebbia #70. Says it's a 'Classic English', but either it was cased with a flavoring agent or it has aged very sweetly. We'll see. It's a first for me. I've smoked a few of their other numbered blends but I don't think I've had this one before.

PS - Look at the size of the cut! I feel like I should run it through a paper shredder before loading it in a pipe....

That’s some chunky leaf! And a beautiful briar. How did it smoke?

Smoke on!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat May 11, 2019 6:30 am

smokinsteve wrote:
Kip wrote:Another tin I bought as a single, threw into the cabinet, and forgot about. March 2010 Brebbia #70. Says it's a 'Classic English', but either it was cased with a flavoring agent or it has aged very sweetly. We'll see. It's a first for me. I've smoked a few of their other numbered blends but I don't think I've had this one before.

That’s some chunky leaf! And a beautiful briar. How did it smoke?

How did it smoke....in terms of burn characteristics, great. With pieces that size, I was worried it would be resistant to staying lit, but it burned like a champ. After only 1 bowl, the jury is out on flavor. Maybe it has gone over the hill, or maybe it's just the blend itself; I don't know. It was kinda bland, with not much more than a vague sweetness. It has that Cavendish 'hollowness' that you sometimes find in lower end aromatics that haven't been properly cased.

But, in the name of science, I'll be smoking more and report back. Maybe it was a fluke....

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Sun May 12, 2019 10:31 am

It’s a beautiful morning for a pipe full in my neck of the woods. This is what I’m smoking, and what I’m smoking it in.

Smoke on!

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Mon May 13, 2019 1:29 pm

I’m smoking some Escudo today. Last time I had a bowl of Escudo, I over dried the tobacco and the bowl full was not very enjoyable. I left a tad more moisture in the leaf today, and it had produced a much more enjoyable smoke. To me, the flavor pops more when the tobacco is just a tad moist. Last time I let it get crispy, and the flavor was more flat and harsh. Do you guys like your tobaccos on the dryer side or wetter?

Smoke on!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:45 pm

smokinsteve wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:29 pm
I’m smoking some Escudo today. Last time I had a bowl of Escudo, I over dried the tobacco and the bowl full was not very enjoyable. I left a tad more moisture in the leaf today, and it had produced a much more enjoyable smoke. To me, the flavor pops more when the tobacco is just a tad moist. Last time I let it get crispy, and the flavor was more flat and harsh. Do you guys like your tobaccos on the dryer side or wetter?
Good question. Generally wetter for pipe tobacco flavor and dryer for cigar flavor. Odd that it's been different for me.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:47 pm

smokinsteve wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:28 pm
kurtdesign1 wrote:
Kip wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:08 pm
Crap. I forgot....Dunhill (Light Flake was one of theirs) is off the market. Dunhill has gone away several times over the years and come back. Hopefully it'll come back. Remind me if I'm able to come stateside this summer and I'll send you some. I have a decent supply in Florida.

No NEED! Steve, I opened some Light flake a month ago and it was not to my liking. If I still have it, It's yours. It wasn't a bad tin but just not what I remembered in the blend. Apparently my tastes have changed.
I’ll trade you for it! What would you want in return? I have a decent supply of pipe tobacco and cigars.

My folks just left to head back to Colorado so let me check my stash and report back. Generally, I'd trade for cigars since we're headign into that season but let's hold off before coming to any firm conclusions...

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Tue May 14, 2019 2:02 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
smokinsteve wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:28 pm
kurtdesign1 wrote: No NEED! Steve, I opened some Light flake a month ago and it was not to my liking. If I still have it, It's yours. It wasn't a bad tin but just not what I remembered in the blend. Apparently my tastes have changed.
I’ll trade you for it! What would you want in return? I have a decent supply of pipe tobacco and cigars.

My folks just left to head back to Colorado so let me check my stash and report back. Generally, I'd trade for cigars since we're headign into that season but let's hold off before coming to any firm conclusions...
No worries and no rush. Just let me know.

Smoke on!