Whats in your bowl?

Whatcha have? Whatcha know? Whatcha do?
smokinsteve
The Generous

Re: Whats in your bowl?

Post by smokinsteve » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:31 pm

Breaking in a new meerschaum with some GLP Telegraph Hill. Telegraph Hill is a very nice lighter Virginia Perique blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke on!

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Fri May 03, 2019 12:12 am

I haven’t been smoking any “English” blends lately as I don’t love Latakia. I picked up a few tins of Dunhill Standard mixture at a local B&M the other day not knowing what the blend was. I was somewhat disappointed when I cracked a tin and smelled Latakia. However, tonight I decided to give it a try and smoke a bowl full. I am no longer disappointed that I purchased a few tins of this tobacco. This is a very good English blend. Not extremely Latakia heavy, but the component is ever present.

Smoke on!

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Fri May 03, 2019 11:23 pm

So I bought another Meerschaum. Breaking this one in with some Escudo!

Smoke on!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat May 04, 2019 12:13 pm

smokinsteve wrote:I haven’t been smoking any “English” blends lately as I don’t love Latakia. I picked up a few tins of Dunhill Standard mixture at a local B&M the other day not knowing what the blend was. I was somewhat disappointed when I cracked a tin and smelled Latakia. However, tonight I decided to give it a try and smoke a bowl full. I am no longer disappointed that I purchased a few tins of this tobacco. This is a very good English blend. Not extremely Latakia heavy, but the component is ever present.

There used to be other variants of this blend - Std Mixture Medium and Std Mixture Mild. They were pretty decent as well, although I always liked MM965 and Nightcap....but Dunhill's Aperitif was probably my all time favorite of their blends.

Since you're not a big latfiend, have you tried Light Flake (or whatever it's called now that the EU banned the use of the word 'light' and 'mild' on tobacco products).

Sent via Caribbean smoke signal

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat May 04, 2019 12:19 pm

I haven't had much time fer smoking lately, but am finally catching my breath for a bowl of dried out Presbyterian Mix. When this tin made it to the DR, its seal had been compromised at some time in the past and it was severely dried out. I tried half heartedly to bring it back but just threw in the towel and started smoking it. The flavor is lacking and shallow compared to its proper condition, but the burning characteristics are exceptional. Having a tranquilo Saturday afternoon of tobacco and tunes.

I'm not a boxing fan, but apparently my cable company is bootlegging the pay-per-view championship fight tonight and it's broadcasting free here. That, along with my weight in Buffalo wings I'm planning on making, is the extent of my day. Dig it. Image

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Sat May 04, 2019 6:22 pm

Kip wrote:
smokinsteve wrote:I haven’t been smoking any “English” blends lately as I don’t love Latakia. I picked up a few tins of Dunhill Standard mixture at a local B&M the other day not knowing what the blend was. I was somewhat disappointed when I cracked a tin and smelled Latakia. However, tonight I decided to give it a try and smoke a bowl full. I am no longer disappointed that I purchased a few tins of this tobacco. This is a very good English blend. Not extremely Latakia heavy, but the component is ever present.

There used to be other variants of this blend - Std Mixture Medium and Std Mixture Mild. They were pretty decent as well, although I always liked MM965 and Nightcap....but Dunhill's Aperitif was probably my all time favorite of their blends.

Since you're not a big latfiend, have you tried Light Flake (or whatever it's called now that the EU banned the use of the word 'light' and 'mild' on tobacco products).

I have not. Who makes it? Don you know where I might find some? I did have a bowl of GLP quiet nights last night and that was pretty darn tasty!

Smoke on!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat May 04, 2019 9:08 pm

smokinsteve wrote:
Kip wrote:

I have not. Who makes it? Don you know where I might find some? I did have a bowl of GLP quiet nights last night and that was pretty darn tasty!

Crap. I forgot....Dunhill (Light Flake was one of theirs) is off the market. Dunhill has gone away several times over the years and come back. Hopefully it'll come back. Remind me if I'm able to come stateside this summer and I'll send you some. I have a decent supply in Florida.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:23 am

Kip wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:08 pm
smokinsteve wrote:
Kip wrote:There used to be other variants of this blend - Std Mixture Medium and Std Mixture Mild. They were pretty decent as well, although I always liked MM965 and Nightcap....but Dunhill's Aperitif was probably my all time favorite of their blends.

Crap. I forgot....Dunhill (Light Flake was one of theirs) is off the market. Dunhill has gone away several times over the years and come back. Hopefully it'll come back. Remind me if I'm able to come stateside this summer and I'll send you some. I have a decent supply in Florida.

No NEED! Steve, I opened some Light flake a month ago and it was not to my liking. If I still have it, It's yours. It wasn't a bad tin but just not what I remembered in the blend. Apparently my tastes have changed.

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Wed May 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Kip wrote:
smokinsteve wrote:
Kip wrote:There used to be other variants of this blend - Std Mixture Medium and Std Mixture Mild. They were pretty decent as well, although I always liked MM965 and Nightcap....but Dunhill's Aperitif was probably my all time favorite of their blends.

Wow thanks for the offer! I’m interested to try it. I think I’ll trade with Craig for his stash.

Smoke on!

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Wed May 08, 2019 12:28 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Kip wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:08 pm
smokinsteve wrote: I have not. Who makes it? Don you know where I might find some? I did have a bowl of GLP quiet nights last night and that was pretty darn tasty!

No NEED! Steve, I opened some Light flake a month ago and it was not to my liking. If I still have it, It's yours. It wasn't a bad tin but just not what I remembered in the blend. Apparently my tastes have changed.
I’ll trade you for it! What would you want in return? I have a decent supply of pipe tobacco and cigars.

Smoke on!