Lighters worth mentioning

Write 'em up, boys....give us your advice on your favorite/least favorite cigars, accessories, or pairings...
Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Lighters worth mentioning

Post by Zedman05 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:15 pm

Hey guys/gals.
I just picked up a Palio lighter a while ago, and can't be more impressed with it so far.
I love the build quality of it ( the mechanical button feels good, and is easy to push, it isn't in an akward spot), the size is perfect, the fuel capacity is great, adjustability is easy thanks to the levered ring, the cap that unscrews for fuel refill is a nice touch and the stainless finish is just superb.
I can't recommend this lighter more. My favorite by far, and I have used a lot of lighters in the last 8 yearsImage.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Lighters worth mentioning

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:49 pm

This is fantastic to hear.

I was at an invite only dinner with the previous three owners of Palio (Marc, Jack & Mike) back in 2006. Even at that point they were experimenting with lighters. I know it literally has 7 or 8 years of R&D put into it. I'm not surprised it is as good as you say it is. At that point, the number one thing they said could be attributed to quality in a lighter was Japanese origin components. Apparently the Chinese market was far behind (in terms of quality) compared to their Eastern counterparts. Has that changed as China has continued to emerge over the past 8 years? I can't be sure. But I can tell you they progressed into this product with the intention of creating the highest quality lighter available on the market; regardless of price.

Coronaboy62
Petit Robusto

Post by Coronaboy62 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:15 pm

Well since we're on the topic of lighters I won a lighter, it's a Xikar Element and a can of butane here's a pic, the only thing I don't like about it is the heaviness BUT thats probably Xikar, I've got a cheapy lighter I bought and it's much lighter ( no pun intended)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (184.25 KiB) Viewed 28227 times

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:11 pm

I like the cheap Jet Lines and the Phillips & King Guardsman triple flame. Decent for the price, and not the end of the world WHEN I lose them

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:25 am

IWinchester wrote:I like the cheap Jet Lines and the Phillips & King Guardsman triple flame. Decent for the price, and not the end of the world WHEN I lose them
JET LINE! I think that's the cheapo lighters I like so much. They are close in design to Blazers, correct? If that's the company, they have made major improvements in the past year. Flat bottom, better strike, nicer cap, better feel. Really good quality now too. The new(er) owner is doing wonderful things to make their gas station staple a cigar store necessity.

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:01 pm

For a long time I thought my days of lighter purchasing were behind me barring the emergency Bic. However this last year I have been introduced to the products of the Vector company. Let me say I am more than pleased. Their soft flame butane inserts for Zippos have been a 3/3 success and both of my Zippos (as well as the my fathers) now burn clean butane. Their butane so far has burned clean as well and at a nice price point. Which leads us to my new lighter purchase. This handsome number for pipes:https://www.amazon.com/Vector-Regular-F ... pe+lighter
Attachments
DSCI0010.JPG
DSCI0010.JPG (140.56 KiB) Viewed 27678 times
DSCI0005.JPG
DSCI0005.JPG (129.86 KiB) Viewed 27678 times
DSCI0004.JPG
DSCI0004.JPG (134.46 KiB) Viewed 27678 times
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:20 pm

Sweet! I bought a Ronson pipe lighter at Walmart while stateside which was great for $7...but I gave it to William. He's an aspiring pipe smoker so I set him up with a pipe, tobacco, and lighter.

I used to have a Vector Zippo insert also. It served well - much better than the Thunderbird brand, but not as reliable as the Z-Plus. It was successful; it just wasn't quite as durable as the Z-Plus have been for me.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:16 am

Thought I would add this also because they are always cheap and usually work. These Ronsons can be picked up at likely any Walmart near the cigarettes for less than $5 after tax. They generally hold up if you burn good butane (Colibri, Vector, etc).
Attachments
DSCI0007.JPG
DSCI0007.JPG (122.5 KiB) Viewed 26984 times
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:09 pm

815DC wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:16 am
Thought I would add this also because they are always cheap and usually work. These Ronsons can be picked up at likely any Walmart near the cigarettes for less than $5 after tax. They generally hold up if you burn good butane (Colibri, Vector, etc).
I will second that, they are the work horses of my stable and I don't feel bad when I crunch them, break them or they just stop working after 2-3 years.