Favorite "Unsuccessful" Cigars

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Favorite "Unsuccessful" Cigars

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:11 am

Kip's post in Today's Smokes made me curious about this. What have you smoked that has never become popular en mass? There can be loads of reasons for this to happen, and I'm interested in them, but at the very least, what inexplicably never caught on?
I used the example earlier of Padilla. Early on (2002-03 ish) he offered three cigars, I believe; Natural, Maduro & "Hybrid". He was all over Cigar Aficionado's forums giving away samples and repping his brand. Then disaster struck. IIRC, his tobacco & potentially even some of his stock was heavily damaged by a series of hurricaines. He was hung up in damage control for some time. When he reemerged people were dogging his "Hybrid", the previously most enjoyed of his offerings, as having been tweaked because of the storm damage. He never recovered. New offerings were not loved to the same extent. People got pissed that he promised offerings and then never sent them (I was in this camp). He bounced from mfg to mfg over the next few years and was rumored to have mucked things up there as well (unsubstantiated). He had some terrific cigars in this time but I think a mix of his impatience & attitude coupled with no stable foundation led the name Padilla to forever be associated with a level less than "Premium". It's unjust but not necessarily unfair. He never really seemed to make the correct decisions after a rocky start.
FWIW, the Pepin made cigars presented by year (1932 and 1963, If I remember correctly) were stellar. Some of the best cigars produced in the aughts, in my opinion.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Re: Favorite "Unsuccessful" Cigars

Post by IWinchester » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:11 pm

Smoker Friendly makes a cigar called Havana Preferred that has an "lower priming" Mexican San Andreas wrapper. After 9mo-12mo of aging they are fantastic! Probably similar to the aging on the Nic-3000 Dale always raved about and some have smoked on here. Subtly sweet, smooth, and flavorful. Usually $5, I picked up 2 bundles for $40 last RMCF. Stellar deal

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:38 am

Several come to mind all the way from the La Casita Criollo and Estaban Carrera (sp?) to Adrian's (Mike Rosales of RoMaCraft), Xikar's lines, the Brazilian cigar from DogWatch days ... Escencia cigars ... There are many good cigars that have come and gone.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:44 pm

What a great point about Monte Pascal. I loved those cigars. LOVED them. I wish they would have been able to keep their US distribution. The company is still around but they have lost their place in the american market.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Monte Pascal - yes those are great. We need to find a way to get those to the US, or maybe we know someone in the DR ;)

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:00 am

jledou wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:43 pm
Monte Pascal - yes those are great. We need to find a way to get those to the US, or maybe we know someone in the DR ;)
Oh, I didn't even THINK about that!! @kip! Help!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:06 am

If they're imported into the DR, I've never seen them. If I remember correctly, Monte Pascoal had more problems than just US import. The Brazilian tobacco laws were killing them. I'm not even sure they're around any more.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:03 am

Kip wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:06 am
If they're imported into the DR, I've never seen them. If I remember correctly, Monte Pascoal had more problems than just US import. The Brazilian tobacco laws were killing them. I'm not even sure they're around any more.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk
They're around. I have some connections to one of their old US importers who still loves and smokes the cigars. They have a different band (blue, I believe) but was told they're the same cigar. Brazil was ornerous, Kip. You're right. I thought it was a process to make/sell/distribute a cigar from there but once done, I thought the hoops were jumped through. I might be wrong (very likely, actually) but at least they're not dead.(information current to about the end of spring)

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:04 pm

Hmmm BLUE bands, we all remember that was the real reason that it didn't make it :D

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:31 pm

lol