Tar in cigars and what promotes it?

Ask us about or recommend show cigars, guests, segments, topics, stupid things we've said, etc. You can even just tell us we suck here...
Franky99
Petit Robusto

Tar in cigars and what promotes it?

Post by Franky99 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:50 pm

I have noticed a problem with my cigars since I have arrived in Florida, I keep getting tar at the head of the cigar after less than half the cigar is gone. I have been using the Xikar V-Cutter and really like it for about 8 months. After a week in Florida I have noticed a sharp increase in tar coming out of my cigars about 70%, I was wondering if the travel, Humidity I am smoking in, or just the shallowness of the cut is doing this, I am getting paranoid so I check them frequently so I don't get it in my mouth but still a Pain in the butt???

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Tar in cigars and what promotes it?

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:51 pm

This is the strangest thing I've heard in a while. Are you saying that 70% of your cigars are having tar? In all my years of smoking I've had 2 cigars with this; a prototype L40 (actually a L38) and a Fuente Cuban Belicoso. If you're seeing a change in performance, i think it is reasonable to attribute it to that. It would be only a guess as to what is causing it beyond that for me, though.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:27 pm

I can remember this happening to me only a couple of times - and only once wherein I could name the cigar (it was a Viaje). While it may be the change in climes, I don't think it's Florida specifically. Heck, I'd reckon I've had thousands of cigars in the past 15 years without issue...

Did you have similar issue when you came down last year?
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

TomD
Tatuaje. Black.

Post by TomD » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:21 pm

I'm in FL too and have only had this 3 or 4 times in 8 years.

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:00 pm

Hey found the post Frank! Anyway here is what I emailed Frank about this thing:

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Daniel Crouch wrote:

Hey Frank its DC
I saw your email posted on 1/2 ashed about tar from a V cut but couldnt find the post on the forum. While I am sure every1 has chimed in here is my 2 cents.

I think your in Florida so while your keeping your cigars at 70(?) humidity the whole state is a friggin humidor. The V cut isn't helping because it focuses the draw. This concentrates everything from smoke and flavor to moisture and tars. With every puff your drawing more of that Florida heat and humidity in and concentrating it at the V (so to speak). Try keeping your cigars at 60/65 and going with an old fashion guillotine cut. Also smoke slower and take shorter draws. I have this problem in the summer sometimes..especially with darker cigars so maybe explore some Conn Shade sticks lol.

Hope any of my nonsense helped.
DC
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Frank later emailed me with this good news:

Now that its been a week without tar, after I posted problem I stopped using the V-cutter and no more tar. I think you are right thou the Florida humidity fast tracked the problem. and changing my humidity is not as easy as at home I have 3 larger containers and 2 small travel humidors with Bovida 70% packs in them, any who, thanks for the e-mail.
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

Franky99
Petit Robusto

Post by Franky99 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:26 pm

Confirm, yes I stopped using the V-cutter and no more tar for a week. I started using my Palio cutter and checking for tar as usual but none since the last time I used the V so I guess the humidity and the smaller opening promotes tar. All I have to say is that I am glad it stopped no matter the reason. Thanks for all the help. Hope this helps someone else with same problem some day.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:08 am

Dan is absolutely correct. A concentrated cut and higher humidity does seem to draw this out. My question is why was it happening so frequently to you? You can't be te only person in warmer climates to use a V. Was this the perfect storm of changing climates, V-cut and perhaps the way in which you actually cut (e.g. you cut a shallow V versus deep)