PHOTO UPLOADING

Keep up with Half Ashed show scheduling, software, or other changes here.
815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Re: PHOTO UPLOADING

Post by 815DC » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:15 pm

I am actually back to using my old digital camera for forum pics.. I had to switch from my Samsung phone to an IPhone 6 hand me down and have no idea how to get the files small enough for the forum.. One time after adjusting some random stuff I cut the files size and then doing it again would not work so whatever. The camera still takes nice pics even on its lower settings to conserve file size. :)
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:23 pm

815DC wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:15 pm
I am actually back to using my old digital camera for forum pics.. I had to switch from my Samsung phone to an IPhone 6 hand me down and have no idea how to get the files small enough for the forum.. One time after adjusting some random stuff I cut the files size and then doing it again would not work so whatever. The camera still takes nice pics even on its lower settings to conserve file size. :)
If want to post a pic from my iPhone, I have to email to myself as a smaller picture, download it to my photos, and then upload from there. Crazy.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:27 pm

Stewmuse wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:23 pm
815DC wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:15 pm
If want to post a pic from my iPhone, I have to email to myself as a smaller picture, download it to my photos, and then upload from there. Crazy.
Yeah they (iphones) seem dead set on making the photos of the same quality as some high end magazine shoot... this isn't Cigar Aficionado.. this is halfashed dangit!
:lol:

Ill stick to using the camera as most of my smoking is done at home.
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:03 pm

I think the iPhone difference is not simply a matter of pic resolution. Part of the problem is all the exif data they insist on saving with each image. This is info you don't typically need like GPS data, author, camera settings, etc. Most cameras that default to saving all this info can be changed; I don't know if Apple allows their users such reckless abandon :). Even if not, most image editors will remove it by default if you open the image and resale as a jpeg....although, if it's Apple image editing software they probably don't want to allow you that kind of power to make your own decisions.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:19 pm

Kip wrote:I think the iPhone difference is not simply a matter of pic resolution. Part of the problem is all the exif data they insist on saving with each image. This is info you don't typically need like GPS data, author, camera settings, etc. Most cameras that default to saving all this info can be changed; I don't know if Apple allows their users such reckless abandon :). Even if not, most image editors will remove it by default if you open the image and resale as a jpeg....although, if it's Apple image editing software they probably don't want to allow you that kind of power to make your own decisions.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk
That last part is exactly why I will never have an Apple product. I want the ability to change anything I want on my phone.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:57 am

815DC wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:27 pm
Stewmuse wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:23 pm
Yeah they (iphones) seem dead set on making the photos of the same quality as some high end magazine shoot... this isn't Cigar Aficionado.. this is halfashed dangit!
:lol: Ill stick to using the camera as most of my smoking is done at home.
Kip wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:03 pm
I think the iPhone difference is not simply a matter of pic resolution. Part of the problem is all the exif data they insist on saving with each image. This is info you don't typically need like GPS data, author, camera settings, etc. Most cameras that default to saving all this info can be changed; I don't know if Apple allows their users such reckless abandon :). Even if not, most image editors will remove it by default if you open the image and resale as a jpeg....although, if it's Apple image editing software they probably don't want to allow you that kind of power to make your own decisions.
Lots here. I am no Apple fanboy. Some of these people are nuts. I am, however, a very happy apple product user. The issues discussed completely above can all be modified within settings to tune the output for each individual user, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF POSSIBLY photo resolution. Mike covered the easy work-around for that issue but I can't say for sure if there is a proactive method of addressing it. So, this comes down (more than likely) to an end user mastery of said product issue and not necessarily a forced adherence from the hardware's manufacturer.

This all coming from the guy who would rather not even post pictures because at its easiest it's still a pain in the ass. lol

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:11 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:57 am
This all coming from the guy who would rather not even post pictures because at its easiest it's still a pain in the ass. lol
Despite my occasional jabs, I'm not an Apple hater. I had an iPhone on the job before leaving Florida. It was perfectly serviceable, but I just prefer the Droid environment (and, yes, the extra flexibility, etc.) But, the last sentence in your post strikes me as funny. With my phone, it's just a matter of clicking a "+", snapping a picture, then touching send. What on the iPhone is so much more difficult that it's such a pain at its easiest? Also, why on God's green earth would Apple prevent you from changing the resolution for your pictures? That seems ridiculous to me. Every camera and phone with a camera I've ever had in the digital age has had that as an option. Even the first-gen volleyball-sized 1megapixel camera I had back in the 90's could drop down to 640x480 if I wanted.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:16 pm

The process I just described is while using Tapatalk. But, I just went and looked at it if I just access the forum with the browser on my phone. Still very simple. From a post, touch "Attachment", browse pics and select which one you want (or take a new pic), "Send." Done.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:41 pm

I see something else at play here. Mike's images are saved in *.png rather than *.jpg. PNG is a much bigger file at the same resolution; JPG is more browser-friendly, but with limitations (for example, you can't make a transparent background with a jpg). Here's an example. The first image is simply a link to one of the bigger images stored on the forum right now. The second is the same image which I simply opened and saved (same resolution) as a jpeg. The first is around 1Mb; the second is 157K, with what (to me) is an imperceptible difference.

100_08b5b992f52694b2cb594b18e9d649a9.jpg
100_08b5b992f52694b2cb594b18e9d649a9.jpg (157.42 KiB) Viewed 10022 times

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Kip wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:16 pm
The process I just described is while using Tapatalk. But, I just went and looked at it if I just access the forum with the browser on my phone. Still very simple. From a post, touch "Attachment", browse pics and select which one you want (or take a new pic), "Send." Done.
I am not a picture person. I read posts as often, if not more, without visual aides. In a digital Social Media age this is not the norm. For me, a photo offers little benefit unless there is a unique one-off experience to share.
That being said, I was turned off from posting pictures onto this forum when Tapatalk had its massive version update 2 or 3 years ago. I had ongoing issues with logging into the forum versus the app and then had minor glitches with my OS after that. It was such a minute benefit that I nixed the app, and picture uploading through it, shortly thereafter.
Now, before DC jumps in to point out the oft used retort regarding straight browser access, when I initially found out that safari played well with vBulletin or php or whatever software Kip has us running with, it was beyond the point when I felt I would benefit or enjoy posting. At this point I don't access the forum from anywhere but a desktop/notebook. My ass pain is referred, over 3 years, and nothing more than a memory I refer to in order to keep my crotchety old bastard card up to date.