Star Wars Ep VII

Music, Movies, Books, Shows...whatever you're feeding yer brain these days.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Star Wars Ep VII

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:37 am

So... Have we seen it? Does anyone want to talk about it? I'm not sharing spoilers in this specific post but would welcome a full on dive into the plot if anyone is interested.

Here's an interesting article that is both pedestrian and rather fanboy-ish. It runs the full gammet and discusses some of the things I had questions on about the film. Spoilers are plenty in the article.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/33-questions-we- ... 1748953034

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Star Wars Ep VII

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:14 pm

I won't see it until it comes out on DVD. Wife and daughter have and loved it. The attached pic gives you an idea of her allegiances...
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (228.21 KiB) Viewed 9966 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

CigarCity
Not just Varsity..CigarCity!

Post by CigarCity » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:33 pm

I really enjoyed the movie. My only real "issue" was how Rey went from knowing nothing of the Force or her ability to mind controlling storm troopers.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:21 pm

Behind the scenes of some stop-motion shots... :-)
Attachments
starwarscakes.jpg
starwarscakes.jpg (32.63 KiB) Viewed 9961 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:51 pm

Dude, Mike. I think I'm in love with your wife. :o
Mine is so anti Star Wars, I think she's actually stated that she's glad EpVII came out after we were done having kids or she's pretty sure we would have stopped right there.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:19 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:Dude, Mike. I think I'm in love with your wife. :o
Mine is so anti Star Wars, I think she's actually stated that she's glad EpVII came out after we were done having kids or she's pretty sure we would have stopped right there.
My wife and and daughter are watching "The Phantom Menace" as I type this! Just so you know, the gingerbread fighters in the pic above are not from my house, although I got my wife the teapot and tea diffuser for Christmas. Wheeee!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:25 am

We went to go see it on Christmas Eve and it was a great family time and experience.

As someone who has read the expanded universe I would say they did a decent job of destroying the cannon that they built there but still following some of the overall story plots that they have developed over the years.

My wife had no desire to watch Star Wars before but we went 1-6 on the previous movies and then went to see 7. She loved 7 and didn't necessarily like the rest of it but she felt at least partially watching them before hand helped her with the major plot of 7.

I think Re is a very polarizing character. As someone who has read more of the expanded universe I can tell you she is not the first strong female lead. I like the character and my wife and oldest daughter dearly love her.

Overall I can't wait for 8 and I am looking forward to the in interlude next year.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:26 am

Stewmuse wrote:Behind the scenes of some stop-motion shots... :-)

Complete awesome Mike!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:55 am

jledou wrote: Overall I can't wait for 8 and I am looking forward to the in interlude next year.
I completely agree with this. After seeing 7 I think that Rogue One has the chance to be epic. For those of us who felt like it was 30 years ago watching this movie, well, Rogue One is going to be even more powerful. If the characters are endearing and charismatic it's a winner. For sure!!

Regarding the now "Legends", no doubt they obliterated them. Where's Luke's wife? Where's the Emperor? I haven't read all of them but I know enough to know they rebooted the EU. What I'm interested in here is if they still allow others to write in the Galaxy of the Legends or if all stories now must conform to current canon? Any idea??

I liked Rey. A lot. Actually, Poe and Finn were also both enjoyable screen personalities. Finn was rather puppy-like and Poe was this generation's Han. I'm happy they didn't bring romance into 7 at all (first time they didn't, right?), but I can see a Rey/Poe budding relationship be a way to tie together both trilogies. I also like the idea of two theories floating around the internet: Rey & Kenobi's tie and Snoke & Plageus' tie. Both are clever and an acceptable tie back to the prequals & Orig Trilogy.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:16 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:What I'm interested in here is if they still allow others to write in the Galaxy of the Legends or if all stories now must conform to current canon? Any idea??

I liked Rey. A lot. Actually, Poe and Finn were also both enjoyable screen personalities. Finn was rather puppy-like and Poe was this generation's Han. I'm happy they didn't bring romance into 7 at all (first time they didn't, right?), but I can see a Rey/Poe budding relationship be a way to tie together both trilogies. I also like the idea of two theories floating around the internet: Rey & Kenobi's tie and Snoke & Plageus' tie. Both are clever and an acceptable tie back to the prequals & Orig Trilogy.
The latest book out is Aftermath which is back to cannon (new cannon) and it happens between VI and VII. Everything I have heard is that the previous books written in the timeline after VI are gone.

I don't think Re is Kenobi's but she is either Ben's sibling or Luke's daughter (the universe focuses on the Skywalkers). I wonder too if Snoke isn't still tied back to the Emperor since we really see him fall but never actually die.