Hiking/backpacking

Just what it says....
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Hiking/backpacking

Post by Kip » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:44 am

For quite some time, Nick and I have been following this group "Patas Sucias", who are a group of young-ish Dominicans that are into backpacking and wilderness camping throughout the DR. While lots of folks see the areas developed for tourism, the Dominican Republic's biggest treasures are buried in the mountains and aren't accessible for folks just passing through, or with a single day-excursion from a resort or cruise. Since we live here and feel like we've never *truly* taken advantage of all the natural wonders this country holds, we're fascinated.

We actually talked about venturing out a year ago, but never got to it. This year, though, we've begun gearing up to jump in. We're pretty excited about it, although I personally have *a lot* of work to do in order to get into shape for it.

We're going to try and join up with this group to get a feel for some areas - specifically which ones are reasonably safe for gringos to go traipsing around.

When I was young and in top form, I was pretty prolific in backpacking - both for its own sake and for fishing or hunting. However, I've been out of shape and out of practice for a loooong time.

Any of you fellers into such things? Just curious. That's the thing about me, when I get a wild hair for something I tend to obsess over it and prattle on, and on, and on....

Sent via Caribbean smoke signal

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Hiking/backpacking

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:19 am

Kip wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:44 am
For quite some time, Nick and I have been following this group "Patas Sucias", who are a group of young-ish Dominicans that are into backpacking and wilderness camping throughout the DR. While lots of folks see the areas developed for tourism, the Dominican Republic's biggest treasures are buried in the mountains and aren't accessible for folks just passing through, or with a single day-excursion from a resort or cruise. Since we live here and feel like we've never *truly* taken advantage of all the natural wonders this country holds, we're fascinated.

We actually talked about venturing out a year ago, but never got to it. This year, though, we've begun gearing up to jump in. We're pretty excited about it, although I personally have *a lot* of work to do in order to get into shape for it.

We're going to try and join up with this group to get a feel for some areas - specifically which ones are reasonably safe for gringos to go traipsing around.

When I was young and in top form, I was pretty prolific in backpacking - both for its own sake and for fishing or hunting. However, I've been out of shape and out of practice for a loooong time.

Any of you fellers into such things? Just curious. That's the thing about me, when I get a wild hair for something I tend to obsess over it and prattle on, and on, and on....

I recommend a camelback. Need one? :lol:
If you used to do hiking/backpacking regularly there's nothing I can tell you that I'm sure you wont already know. On the off chance that's not the case I'll throw things below but I doubt I'll rock your world.
-If you buy new boots, wear them for a week or two before you go hiking in them. Seriously.
-I've hiked in the Pac Northwest a bit and the biggest regret I had was not having dry socks after a day or two. Bring double the socks you expect and then add two more pairs.
-Pack in plastic bags because you never know. Do grocery stores in the DR use single use plastic bags? They're great for this.
-Bring a second everything.
-Sharpen whatever you have before you go.
-If there are coniferous trees, use them. Also if there are coniferous trees, remember to wipe WITH the grain.
-You can never have too much rope. You may not use it but, hell, you may. This reminds me of a story that an outfitter told my group one time when we were prepping for a Bridger Wilderness hiking trip. "Boys, let me give you two options. Option 1: You're camped for the night and you've got a curious Grizzly wandering around sniffing for the remnants of your dinner. You tied your food stuffs so he's peaking around other areas since he can still smell food. You take a 45 with you and fire a warning shot that makes him leave. You end up with a great bear story. Option 2: You're camped for the night and you've got a curious Grizzly wandering around sniffing for the remnants of yoru dinner. You tied your food stuffs so he's peaking around other areas since he can still smell food. You don't have a weapon in this story. Which option would you prefer?" Uh, I'll bring the extra rope on this trip please...
This should be fun. I look forward to our discussions this will bring up.

Cabaiguan juan
Churchill

Post by Cabaiguan juan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:01 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Kip wrote:

I recommend a camelback. Need one? :lol:
If you used to do hiking/backpacking regularly there's nothing I can tell you that I'm sure you wont already know. On the off chance that's not the case I'll throw things below but I doubt I'll rock your world.
-If you buy new boots, wear them for a week or two before you go hiking in them. Seriously.
-I've hiked in the Pac Northwest a bit and the biggest regret I had was not having dry socks after a day or two. Bring double the socks you expect and then add two more pairs.
-Pack in plastic bags because you never know. Do grocery stores in the DR use single use plastic bags? They're great for this.
-If there are coniferous trees, use them. Also if there are coniferous trees, remember to wipe WITH the grain.
-You can never have too much rope. You may not use it but, hell, you may. This reminds me of a story that an outfitter told my group one time when we were prepping for a Bridger Wilderness hiking trip. "Boys, let me give you two options. Option 1: You're camped for the night and you've got a curious Grizzly wandering around sniffing for the remnants of your dinner. You tied your food stuffs so he's peaking around other areas since he can still smell food. You take a 45 with you and fire a warning shot that makes him leave. You end up with a great bear story. Option 2: You're camped for the night and you've got a curious Grizzly wandering around sniffing for the remnants of yoru dinner. You tied your food stuffs so he's peaking around other areas since he can still smell food. You don't have a weapon in this story. Which option would you prefer?" Uh, I'll bring the extra rope on this trip please...
Are their grizzlies in the DR? Seriously though what kind of wildlife would you need to be aware of in the DR while camping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:26 am

Cabaiguan juan wrote:
kurtdesign1 wrote:
Kip wrote:

I recommend a camelback. Need one? Image
Are their grizzlies in the DR? Seriously though what kind of wildlife would you need to be aware of in the DR while camping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There aren't any large animals except domestic farm animals. The little annoyances would be tarantulas, giant centipedes (bad news), and the tarantula hawk wasps (very bad news). Keeping off the ground behind a screen or tent wall goes a long way to avoid these.

No venomous snakes. We do have a pretty sizable boa on the island, but the population is pretty small because Dominicans have a terrible philosophy on killing snakes.

Most other stuff would be pests - rats, mongoose (imported in the 1800s but have populated very well), etc.

The only real danger in all of this would be an encounter with an unfriendly hairless ape.

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:03 am

Kip wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:26 am
Cabaiguan juan wrote:
kurtdesign1 wrote:
There aren't any large animals except domestic farm animals. The little annoyances would be tarantulas, giant centipedes (bad news), and the tarantula hawk wasps (very bad news). Keeping off the ground behind a screen or tent wall goes a long way to avoid these.

No venomous snakes. We do have a pretty sizable boa on the island, but the population is pretty small because Dominicans have a terrible philosophy on killing snakes.

Most other stuff would be pests - rats, mongoose (imported in the 1800s but have populated very well), etc.

The only real danger in all of this would be an encounter with an unfriendly hairless ape.

Sounds like that extra rope might come in handy...

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:04 am

Kip wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:26 am

Wait, wait. No comment on either the Camelback or the story?!