Winter Baseball

Just what it says....
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Winter Baseball

Post by Kip » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:38 am

Any of you fine fellers baseball fans? I have to admit I've largely been out of it for two decades. I was a huge fan, and then my favorite player (George Brett) retired in '93...then the strike came in '94, and I never really got back into it after that. We usually caught a Spring Training game or two each year while in Florida, but never really kept tabs on the game.

Here, there is a winter league that plays off-season to US MLB. A number of MLB players come down and play through the winter here to stay in shape. We went to the home opener for the local team a couple weeks ago and I absolutely loved it. I had no vested interest in the outcome of the game, but the atmosphere at the stadium was awesome. Third row tickets at third base ran a whole $10....from scalpers. Hot dogs and sodas are a buck. It's a fantastic evening and I can see hitting a few more games this season. Loved it. The season runs through February, coinciding with the commencement of US Spring Training in March.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Winter Baseball

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:30 pm

Sounds like minor league baseball here. Much more relaxed atmosphere. Better parking, too!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:31 pm

Sounds like minor league baseball here. Much more relaxed atmosphere. Better parking, too!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:20 am

A healthy amount of MLB stars are from the DR. You probably have a chance to see some pretty good games played there this year.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:46 am

jledou wrote:A healthy amount of MLB stars are from the DR. You probably have a chance to see some pretty good games played there this year.
Yessir! If you go to MLB.com you can search for major league players and their winter ball teams & stats. I'm amazed at how many different leagues there are!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:04 pm

Turns out I was mistaken. The season actually ends this week. I failed miserably and only made it out for two games this year. My local Aguilas went from top-dog to bottom of the barrel from last year to this. There is a round-robin kind of tournament in January, but I don't know the details for when/where/etc.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....