[POLL] What are your thoughts on Limited Edition Cigars?

Whether for show research, popular questions on the forum, or idle curiosity on your co-hosts' part....this is where we all get a vote.

What are your thoughts on Limited Edition Cigars?

The whole idea leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Purely marketing.
No votes
I don't have any ill-will toward the idea, but think it's silly to chase them down.
56%
I can appreciate Tatuaje's approach - since anyone can get these
33%
I like the chase; the chance to work hard and be able to say I've smoke "that" cigar.
11%
You kidding? I live for this kind of thing. I feed off the chase and enjoy the spoils...
No votes

Total votes: 9

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

[POLL] What are your thoughts on Limited Edition Cigars?

Post by Kip » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:12 pm

This spun off an old Cigarmy post, and it's still something I'm interested in. I was pontificating about the explosion of "Limited Edition" cigars on the market, and how folks viewed the phenomena. Rather than maintain a redundant funciton on the blog itself, I figured I would convert and use the built-in poll funcitonality of the forum software. Originally, I was writing about Tatuaje's limitations on the Monster Series - where there are some extremely limited "dress boxes," yet anyone who wants can probably find the cigars themselves. So, I put it to you fine folks. What do you think of the whole idea of "Limited" cigar lines?
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Re: [POLL] What are your thoughts on Limited Edition Cigars?

Post by IWinchester » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Great if A) they taste good and B) there is a reason it's limited besides marketing.

Kid Corona

CigarSpurs
Jingle. Jangle. Jingle.

Post by CigarSpurs » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:49 pm

I'm too old for such nonsense.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:05 pm

CigarSpurs wrote:I'm too old for such nonsense.
^^awesome^^

Kid Corona

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:13 am

If you are asking this question from an NC standpoint, then I am in the "don't give a rat's ass" category for 98% of the cigars out there. There are a few that I can get behind, and like, but for the most part it is annoying if you don't have fast access or the funds at the time. This is why I like good regular production sticks; if you find out after a month of them being out that you love them.....you can still get them. If I buy a limited Tat/Crowned Heads/DE cigar and love it, it will be gone already after a month of being out, then I am screwed.

As for CC's; this topic generally frustrates me as no one knows what the cigar tastes like, and ultimately you are buying a really expensive cigar blind. Sure they are an EL with an aged and mostly darker (maduro'ish) wrapper, but really they are almost always different from their marka's original palate profile.
I had someone offer me the new Bolivar EL 2015 at a herf the other day, and I turned him down saying that I don't prefer the Bolivar profile. After some talking with others there, I was told it is very different from the normal marka's profile. I don't understand why this is. Wouldn't you want to make something that is true and outstanding in said marka ? Like the Cohiba Gran Reserva 2009 was the ultimate expression of what they could do with that brand.....why can't they replicate that experience when dealing with all the others ?

Give me a great cigar in which I can return to over and over, and you will have a loyal and regular customer.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:13 am

In the end I would rather see a factory make 50,000 or 10,000 "limited" cigars because that is all of the tobacco they have for that blend. The next batch will change and as such the next blend will change. Of course I am still in favor of them putting box dates on regular production cigars so you can track the changes that way also.