Drawing conclusions

Here's where you can git yer learnin' on...maybe some rolling instruction from our resident torcedors, leafy lessons from Craig, or recommendations from the rest of us....
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Drawing conclusions

Post by Kip » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:42 am

So, as I sit and pontificate this morning I'm wondering about draw resistance. This spun off last night's cigar of the week, which was a bit tighter than optimal for my particular tastes - although within serviceable tolerance. Do some manufacturers or even countries of origin have a different "norm" or goal for draw resistance. I know some use the Drawmaster machines (albeit often without calibration, which can make them kinda pointless).

I hear lots of people - LOTS - complain that Cuban cigars are commonly too tight. I haven't had a terribly high number that were "too" tight, but they do seem to be frequently tighter than I'm accustomed to. It could make one (who is not accustomed) perceive that the smoke production is sparse, which can lead to over-puffing and charring the tobacco. Is this why the same folks complaining about the Cuban draw don't care for the flavor profile? Are they just compensating their cadence because it's tighter than what they typically smoke? Do the Cuban torcedores simply have a preference for tighter cigars? Do other countries just prefer them generally more open? Is draw simply yet another subjective aspect of the hobby? If it's anything short of plugged, is there a smoker out there who likes it?
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Drawing conclusions

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:55 am

No. Tight draws are a complete drag (pun intended). You lose flavor, have to work way too hard, they tend to go out, and there's way too little smoke. Other than that, though, I guess they're perfect.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:37 am

What I meant, was whether or not "too" tight is more subjective. Is one person's "too tight" another's "just right?" Do some countries/cultures/torcedores just have a tighter preference? Who/what decides what too tight is - besides individual preference?
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:10 am

Kip wrote:What I meant, was whether or not "too" tight is more subjective. Is one person's "too tight" another's "just right?" Do some countries/cultures/torcedores just have a tighter preference? Who/what decides what too tight is - besides individual preference?
Of course, it's subjective. When in doubt, always follow my opinion. It's safer that way... :shock:
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:54 pm

Kip wrote:So, as I sit and pontificate this morning I'm wondering about draw resistance. This spun off last night's cigar of the week, which was a bit tighter than optimal for my particular tastes - although within serviceable tolerance. Do some manufacturers or even countries of origin have a different "norm" or goal for draw resistance. I know some use the Drawmaster machines (albeit often without calibration, which can make them kinda pointless).

I hear lots of people - LOTS - complain that Cuban cigars are commonly too tight. I haven't had a terribly high number that were "too" tight, but they do seem to be frequently tighter than I'm accustomed to. It could make one (who is not accustomed) perceive that the smoke production is sparse, which can lead to over-puffing and charring the tobacco. Is this why the same folks complaining about the Cuban draw don't care for the flavor profile? Are they just compensating their cadence because it's tighter than what they typically smoke? Do the Cuban torcedores simply have a preference for tighter cigars? Do other countries just prefer them generally more open? Is draw simply yet another subjective aspect of the hobby? If it's anything short of plugged, is there a smoker out there who likes it?
While I can't offer up an educated guess as to "preference" on a Macro level I will say that you are on to something about the smoker overheating tighter rolls. I truly believe that overheating tobacco from a tight or loose draw is a huge negative impact with unfamiliar smokers. You are 100% right, in my book.