The Great Wrapper Experiment

Here's where you can git yer learnin' on...maybe some rolling instruction from our resident torcedors, leafy lessons from Craig, or recommendations from the rest of us....
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: The Great Wrapper Experiment

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:53 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:I am super excited here. Truly. What size are these badboys?
The cigars for Ian, Zed, and Craig were mailed out this afternoon. There are five 5 x 43 cigars in person's shipment - one cigar with no wrapper, and then one each with Ecuador shade, Ecuador maduro, Habano 2000, and Corojo wrappers. Each of you will have cigars with different fillers from the other "guinea pigs" :shock: and have a paper telling you what is inside your cigars. I would guess that even though each of you have the same wrappers, the effect of the wrapper might vary in combination with the binder and filler. We shall see!

Kip suggested just sending me your responses so I can post them all together and you won't influence one another, but if the time it takes you all to get through the cigars varies widely, responses might post in shifts. Perhaps we can come to a consensus as to what order you smoke the different wrappers.
Maybe: Habano 2000, Ecuador Shade, Ecuador Maduro, and then Corojo?

Ideally (?), I'd like to be able to list each wrapper type with all of your responses. Perhaps something akin to:

Habano 2000
Craig: The Habano really enhanced the smoothness of...
Ian: Boy, the Habano really did not pair well with the filler of...
Zed: Whoa! Spice bomb! When the Habano...
Me: The Habano was not the...

And then a similar grouping/post for the other wrappers. I'll also ask you to give the binder and blend of your sticks (I did not save that info). Lastly, I'll be doing a set, as well. Hope this turns out to be much fun, if not strictly informative... thanks for playing!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:56 pm

We will, then get Kip's responses after the new year, plus there may be a second set of blends with different wrappers.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:03 pm

That sounds great

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:22 pm

You've over complicated things. Let me help.
Get your reviews to Mike within 3 weeks of receipt. That's the price to play. Don't, and Mike sends no more sticks your way.

All of us know me well enough to know I have absolutely no power but let me have my moment.

You've been Tapatalk'd

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:51 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:You've over complicated things. Let me help.
Get your reviews to Mike within 3 weeks of receipt. That's the price to play. Don't, and Mike sends no more sticks your way.

All of us know me well enough to know I have absolutely no power but let me have my moment.
Craig Schneider, Cigar Potentate. Or would that be IMpotent-tate?
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:05 am

I didn't realize everyone's set of sticks would be different. If that's the case, just let 'em rip. If we're all smoking different cigars, I don't suppose we'd influence each other with our ramblings.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:57 am

The sticks are all the same Kip. 5 different wrappers rolled on the same filler.
As it takes a day and a year for postage to get here, I will smoke them in the order suggested, and within a 3 week period either way.
Thanks again Big-M, this should be fun again.

Cigar F^iend

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:31 am

Zedman05 wrote:The sticks are all the same Kip. 5 different wrappers rolled on the same filler.
As it takes a day and a year for postage to get here, I will smoke them in the order suggested, and within a 3 week period either way.
Thanks again Big-M, this should be fun again.
My pleasure. Just to be clear, the cigars that each person receives will all have the same filler and binder. The cigars that I send to each of you, however, will be different from those sent to others. For example, the blend in the cigars/wrappers I will "review" may consist of 50 year old virgin leaf from Arturo Fuente Sr.'s private vault while Craig's cigars have a filler of banana leaves and skunk cabbage. Or something like that....
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:32 am

Point being, we will all have an identical palate to judge against, less the wrapper leaf. From that, the 5 different experiences we each have can start to pinpoint what the wrapper leaf brought to the table. The idea isn't to review the cigars. The idea is to see what different wrappers bring to whatever experience you have. As such, I agree with Kip. Salt on beef has a different impact than salt on broccoli. Let em rip.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:52 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:Point being, we will all have an identical palate to judge against, less the wrapper leaf. From that, the 5 different experiences we each have can start to pinpoint what the wrapper leaf brought to the table. The idea isn't to review the cigars. The idea is to see what different wrappers bring to whatever experience you have. As such, I agree with Kip. Salt on beef has a different impact than salt on broccoli. Let em rip.
Agreed. Enjoy those skunk cabbage leaves! :-)
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.