Online Whole Tobacco leaf

Here's where you can git yer learnin' on...maybe some rolling instruction from our resident torcedors, leafy lessons from Craig, or recommendations from the rest of us....
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Online Whole Tobacco leaf

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:40 pm

You can get whole tobacco leaf for rolling your cigars at a number of sites. The businesses that i prefer because of their selection and quality are:

http://www.leafonly.com
and
http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com

The leaf sizes and appearance will vary from country to country and strength to strength. Seco is a mild leaf, viso is the next strongest, and lijero is the fullest. Binders will vary with the leaf type, although most are not strong. Wrapper is by far the most expensive and changes the character of your cigar considerably. In the pictures, the leaf is, from left to right: EcuadorSumatra binder, Dominican seco, Nicaraguan viso, Dominican lijero, and San Andreas wrapper (already peeled in half lengthwise).
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (204.43 KiB) Viewed 4787 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

star644
Toro

Post by star644 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:30 am

deleted
Last edited by star644 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Online Whole Tobacco leaf

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:40 am

Wholly agree. I have seen a couple of YT videos where someone made their own unit of basic boxes/plastic for this.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:17 pm

star, I can't vouch for the effectiveness here, but perhaps it will give you some ideas on home fermentation. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8YMe5pwMaY
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:16 pm

I opened a new bag of Ecuador shade wrapper from LeafOnly.com tonight. It is easily the best bunch of wrapper leaves i've ever received. This will be a good test of my rolling skills, as leaf condition, i've always felt, has always held my sticks back a bit in their appearance. These should look really good. If not, i'll have to reassess my technique.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (213.93 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:12 pm

A view of my tobacco "warehouse." Some 35-40 lbs of leaf from 9 different countries. Of course, it's not doing me much good in the bags. Gotta get my roll on...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (212.87 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:46 am

http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/Cigar-Wrappers_c28.htm

Whole Leaf Tobacco has a pretty nice selection of wrapper leaf. They have, plus a couple more, Ecuador Connecticut shade, Ecuador dark shade, Habano 2000, San Andres, Criollo, and Corojo wrapper leaf. A good variety, to be sure...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:05 am

I'd be interested in a way to determine how good the quality of all this tobacco is. Is there any reference that you've found (besides an obvious taste)? I have had some really positive results with your more recent focus on south American tobaccos (also plus San Andres). I'm curious if these tobaccos are just a higher quality than some of the others. I know I love corojo, criollo, habano, etc but these newer ones just taste more well rounded to me than your earlier blends with the more "normal" tobaccos.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:19 pm

Unfortunately, taste and smell are all I have to go on. I will also say that those S Amer leaves came from Whole Leaf Tobacco, as opposed to Otoao Cigars (whom I no longer use). You may recall me talking about how I had to hang several hands of leaf (from Otoao) in my garage last summer, misting them daily to get rid of some ammonia. Leaving them may be the biggest difference maker...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.