Humidity question

Here's where you can git yer learnin' on...maybe some rolling instruction from our resident torcedors, leafy lessons from Craig, or recommendations from the rest of us....
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Humidity question

Post by Kip » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:10 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Kip wrote:the partial pressure exerted by it is likely similar no matter one's elevation. I need to go peruse a few old scuba texts and see how this might inter-relate.
False. Take a bag o' chips that you bought in Florida to Ian's house in Montana and tell me if it doesn't damn near explode by the time you get there. There is a drastic pressure change.
Double fault. I'm not speaking of absolute pressure. PARTIAL PRESSURE of the gas in mix. At 1 ATM of air (sea level), the partial pressure of O2 is .2 ATM. Oxygen does very different things at different pressures exerted by it within a given mixture of air. For example, oxygen is TOXIC to humans somewhere just above 1.6 PPO2. This is useful info if you're diving below the 200' mark. I'm speculating that reduced pressure (absolute), the PPO2 is reduced as well unless the percentage of O2 in the mix is adjusted (which it isn't if you're outdoors).

Just a hillbilly, Tappin and a-Talkin
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:11 pm

I don't think you're allowed to use that signature anymore after that post.

Mind.
Blown.
:geek:

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Sometimes, you just need a tumor to make two fools sound intelligent :D

Kid Corona

CigarMan4Life
Petit Robusto

Post by CigarMan4Life » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:45 pm

Your argument: that taste change due the effect of changing the mix of gasses in the air at different temperatures/pressure/humidity levels on the cigar maybe correct. But I would also think that taste is more impacted by the effect of all though variables on the smokers taste sensors in the head and throat, the soft palette and sinuses. Close your nose and you taste nothing.
"Passion has helped us; but can do so no more. It will in future be our enemy. Reason, cold, calculating, unimpassioned reason, must furnish all the materials for our future support and defence." - Abraham Licoln

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:52 am

CigarMan4Life wrote:Your argument: that taste change due the effect of changing the mix of gasses in the air at different temperatures/pressure/humidity levels on the cigar maybe correct. But I would also think that taste is more impacted by the effect of all though variables on the smokers taste sensors in the head and throat, the soft palette and sinuses. Close your nose and you taste nothing.
Another good point. When my mouth is dryer than usual cigars taste different, and everyone has experienced the lack of flavor while smoking with a stuffy nose. So many variables...

Kid Corona

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:45 pm

So this is the heated debate thread that was talked about on the podcast ? I didn't know it became heated...maybe it was me .... or was that a ploy to try to get more to the forum ? I think there were lots of great points and interesting facts that have been brought up here.

Cigar F^iend

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Heated is a relative term :twisted:
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:48 am

That's right. If youze ain't a total bad mf-er, this place will wreck you. Every time I log in, I feel like...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0znNiN0lYAQ
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:00 am

^^^ HaHa!! Oh man I laughed so hard, and my wife have me that look...

Kid Corona

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:05 am

IWinchester wrote:^^^ HaHa!! Oh man I laughed so hard, and my wife have me that look...
Inspiration comes in many forms...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.