Humidity question

Here's where you can git yer learnin' on...maybe some rolling instruction from our resident torcedors, leafy lessons from Craig, or recommendations from the rest of us....
TomD
Tatuaje. Black.

Re: Humidity question

Post by TomD » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:44 pm

^^^ Your just rubbing it in (or one out as Kip would say) with the whole been to Cuba 3 times thing. Jealous.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:52 pm

I have also been to other warm countries in the winter, but they didnt have the humidity like the coast....and since Cuba has been the only place where I can get a fair assesment after being there for a week each time, I figured I would state my findings. I really am not trying to brag, as I have been online for many years now and never said anything about it, but I do know that the humidity difference is obvious when you travel all that way in one day and it is such a drastic change.

Cigar F^iend

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:36 am

Zed, you bring up the Dale Roush theory on cigar smoking: Elevation and the difference in oxygen concentrations plays a huge role in enjoyment. He actually was pretty scientific about it at one point when we were herfing. It makes a lot of sense.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:52 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:Zed, you bring up the Dale Roush theory on cigar smoking: Elevation and the difference in oxygen concentrations plays a huge role in enjoyment. He actually was pretty scientific about it at one point when we were herfing. It makes a lot of sense.
I 100% agree with that theory, independently of Dale. Based on the past 15 years of frequent trips between TN and FL, it seems that tobacco tastes radically different when all else is similar except altitude. In the winter, I would have guessed humidity and/or temp to have a bigger impact. But even during the summer when temp/humidity are similar between TN/FL, the taste is very different....leading me to anecdotally blame altitude.

Just a hillbilly, Tappin and a-Talkin
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:27 am

So I want to understand something. Are you saying that the humidity level impacts how you taste cigars? I'm not saying "humidity impacts how a cigar tastes", I'm talking about you. There's a clear difference and I'm just not thinking that you're saying something different than I was. I've never noticed this independently of how I perceived the moisture content of the cigar to be changing over smoking time. Interesting...

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Here goes Craig getting way too technical and taking things overboard....haha

Cigar F^iend

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:50 pm

Zedman05 wrote:Here goes Craig getting way too technical and taking things overboard....haha

Cigar F^iend

True that! But that's why we love this Chigringo

Kid Corona

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:52 pm

Why not?

Ambient
Ambient humidity is just another atmospheric factor, like temperature or altitude (oxygen density's impact on burn......is the mix lean or rich?). Seems to me that it could have as much impact as any of the others.

Internal
Humidity within the cigar....keep your cigars at 40% for a few months and tell me if they taste different.

Now I'm thinking. Although total availability of oxygen in air at higher altitudes is lower, the partial pressure exerted by it is likely similar no matter one's elevation. I need to go peruse a few old scuba texts and see how this might inter-relate.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:01 pm

Kip wrote:the partial pressure exerted by it is likely similar no matter one's elevation. I need to go peruse a few old scuba texts and see how this might inter-relate.
False. Take a bag o' chips that you bought in Florida to Ian's house in Montana and tell me if it doesn't damn near explode by the time you get there. There is a drastic pressure change.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:09 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Kip wrote:the partial pressure exerted by it is likely similar no matter one's elevation. I need to go peruse a few old scuba texts and see how this might inter-relate.
False. Take a bag o' chips that you bought in Florida to Ian's house in Montana and tell me if it doesn't damn near explode by the time you get there. There is a drastic pressure change.
Wait, maybe you're saying something so intelligent I didn't even follow your point. The damn tumor is making you brilliant now!