What Coffee are you drinking?

Pics and recipes...show off your latest creations.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: What Coffee are you drinking?

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:50 am

815DC wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:34 pm
Kicken it old school with a new school twist. Black Dog Coffee Dogwatch Dark- K Cups
Fun story. I spent a ton of time going back and forth with Brian trying to make Dogwatch work in a Keurig personal thingy. It wouldn't work. No matter the grind it always failed to flow through the beans and instead would shoot the water out the top of the "cup". Brian ended up thinking that the beans were just too oily in that year's blend.
Fun(ner) story. Brian told me that his coffee has vintages like wine or cigars. Certain years are worse than others. The original "dogwatch dark" was the best year and subsequent were not as good (through probably 2014 is all I can apply that to). I haven't even seen Kcups from him. How are they? As delicious as that stuff was back in the day??

akpreacher
Forum Denizen

Post by akpreacher » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:08 pm

One of my favorites! IBCC Integrity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cabaiguan juan
Churchill

Post by Cabaiguan juan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:38 pm

Does anyone have a good Kona Coffee hook up or recommendation?

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:21 am

Cabaiguan juan wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:38 pm
Does anyone have a good Kona Coffee hook up or recommendation?
I don't but I"m intrigued here. I've heard for some time that true "Kona" is gone and that it's become more of a myth akin to "cuban cigars" and their superiority. That said, if you come across something I'd buy a pound or two also. I'm totally interested in trying it.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:57 am

The trouble is in the name, of course. Hawaii has not had huge success protecting what gets marketed as "Kona" coffee. There's actually a class action suit in the works now against US retailers selling 'fake' Kona. In Hawaii, it must contain at least 10% Kona to be called by the name - but it doesn't have the same Federal support as things like 'Bourbon', so outside Hawaii all bets are off. Usually, it's no more than the required 10% because of the high cost of Kona. Most of what you buy off the shelf is a blend with coffee from other origins for the same reason. True 100% Kona has been dang near impossible to get (no matter what you see on the shelf) for many years.

Tidbit many of you don't know about me....some of my wife's family have lived in Hawaii for 50 years, and she's never once taken me to visit. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Sent via Caribbean smoke signal

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Cabaiguan juan
Churchill

Post by Cabaiguan juan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:35 pm

Kip wrote:The trouble is in the name, of course. Hawaii has not had huge success protecting what gets marketed as "Kona" coffee. There's actually a class action suit in the works now against US retailers selling 'fake' Kona. In Hawaii, it must contain at least 10% Kona to be called by the name - but it doesn't have the same Federal support as things like 'Bourbon', so outside Hawaii all bets are off. Usually, it's no more than the required 10% because of the high cost of Kona. Most of what you buy off the shelf is a blend with coffee from other origins for the same reason. True 100% Kona has been dang near impossible to get (no matter what you see on the shelf) for many years.

Tidbit many of you don't know about me....some of my wife's family have lived in Hawaii for 50 years, and she's never once taken me to visit. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Hawaii is nice. However there is plenty of island culture around where your at. It’s a minimum of 12hrs in a plane ticket plus other travel time (layovers, getting to the airport early, etc). I’d rather fly to the Caribbean in a third the time. I too have family out there and I’ve been out there more times then most folks.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:46 am

My 40th is coming up in not too long and the wife and I are planning a trip. I took her to Hawaii for her 30th and it was an amazing trip. I had intended for it to be a trip for "her" that I just participated in but in reality we both opened our eyes to stunning landscape, food, culture, beaches and history. I was shocked. We were on Maui. Where are your families?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:46 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:My 40th is coming up in not too long and the wife and I are planning a trip. I took her to Hawaii for her 30th and it was an amazing trip. I had intended for it to be a trip for "her" that I just participated in but in reality we both opened our eyes to stunning landscape, food, culture, beaches and history. I was shocked. We were on Maui. Where are your families?
Kristi's family is on the big island. All of her Dad's siblings and her grandparents moved there in the late 60's, but all of them have died or moved back to the mainland now except one uncle and his family.

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Cabaiguan juan
Churchill

What Coffee are you drinking?

Post by Cabaiguan juan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:26 pm

Oahu. Over looking Wikiki and Diamond Head. My Aunt and uncle have been out there since the 80’s I think. I have one cousin who just left for the Mainland and another cousin getting ready to head back to Hawaii. I was just out on Oahu in March.

Where are you thinking about going for your 40th anniversary?

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:02 am

Cabaiguan juan wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:26 pm
Oahu. Over looking Wikiki and Diamond Head. My Aunt and uncle have been out there since the 80’s I think. I have one cousin who just left for the Mainland and another cousin getting ready to head back to Hawaii. I was just out on Oahu in March.

Where are you thinking about going for your 40th anniversary?

Actually, Oahu is the leading contender. Our other choice is kauai. We aren't normally a "resort" type couple but Oahu has a Disney resort that we might consider without the kids :lol: It's a completely uncharacteristic thing for us and totally different than our trip to Maui.
Kauai is, per my understanding, a more lush and natural place. This is typically more to my liking but I'm a bit unsure of whether there's enough there to warrant the trip. I am a long way from booking (saving the proper funds is still a work in progress) so I have time to continue research but it's what we're kicking around at the moment.

and Juan, I'm old but not *that* old. It's my 40th birthday, not our 40th anniversary :roll: :lol: