What Coffee are you drinking?

Pics and recipes...show off your latest creations.
akpreacher
Forum Denizen

What Coffee are you drinking?

Post by akpreacher » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:42 pm

Pretty simple:
Post what Coffee you are drinking, pics are appreciated but not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akpreacher
Forum Denizen

Re: What Coffee are you drinking?

Post by akpreacher » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:42 pm

Ezra Zion The Raven

The problem with EZ blends is that there is never enough!!!

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Kicking Horse
Pacific Pipeline blend.
I have had so many people come over, have this coffee in my french press, and return just for my coffee. Not just "common folk" hahah, but guys coming over for cigars.

akpreacher
Forum Denizen

Post by akpreacher » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Zedman05 wrote:Kicking Horse
Pacific Pipeline blend.
I have had so many people come over, have this coffee in my french press, and return just for my coffee. Not just "common folk" hahah, but guys coming over for cigars.
Never heard of it, I’ll have to check it out!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:29 pm

I've come so far with coffee that I'm tending to move away from the single origin stuff. It is so suceptable to terroir impact. I don't know if my suppliers aren't getting the best quality beans, dealing with the best possible brokers/farmers or something else, but I have found so much variation in coffee that I'm left going back to blends.
I like the Twin Engine stuff a fair bit. Black Dog Dogwatch Dark has been great at times. Intelligencia is pretty good for larger volume production. The problem is, all of these are so "fragile" or inconsistent that I find myself missing the perfect cup of coffee more often than getting it.
I think I want a high quality drip maker with a caraffe for home. I have used aeropress (too crisp a cup of coffee. I say acidic, they say "crisp"). French press is fine but always tasting somewhat similar. I don't know if I'm using too hot of water or some other factor but I'm a bit underwhelmed lately. Cold press/cold brew is fine. It tends not to be as concentrated of a body as I prefer. I'm abandoning the "concentrate" and just heating that up. It kind of defeats the purpose of a steaming hot cup of coffee if it has to be microwaved or cut so thin that it's barely flavorful.
I'm in a rut. Help!

akpreacher
Forum Denizen

Post by akpreacher » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:48 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:I've come so far with coffee that I'm tending to move away from the single origin stuff. It is so suceptable to terroir impact. I don't know if my suppliers aren't getting the best quality beans, dealing with the best possible brokers/farmers or something else, but I have found so much variation in coffee that I'm left going back to blends.
I like the Twin Engine stuff a fair bit. Black Dog Dogwatch Dark has been great at times. Intelligencia is pretty good for larger volume production. The problem is, all of these are so "fragile" or inconsistent that I find myself missing the perfect cup of coffee more often than getting it.
I think I want a high quality drip maker with a caraffe for home. I have used aeropress (too crisp a cup of coffee. I say acidic, they say "crisp"). French press is fine but always tasting somewhat similar. I don't know if I'm using too hot of water or some other factor but I'm a bit underwhelmed lately. Cold press/cold brew is fine. It tends not to be as concentrated of a body as I prefer. I'm abandoning the "concentrate" and just heating that up. It kind of defeats the purpose of a steaming hot cup of coffee if it has to be microwaved or cut so thin that it's barely flavorful.
I'm in a rut. Help!

I just use a filter cup with my keurig, not fancy but it makes the coffee the way I like it!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:03 pm

akpreacher wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:48 pm
kurtdesign1 wrote:I've come so far with coffee that I'm tending to move away from the single origin stuff. It is so suceptable to terroir impact. I don't know if my suppliers aren't getting the best quality beans, dealing with the best possible brokers/farmers or something else, but I have found so much variation in coffee that I'm left going back to blends.
I'm in a rut. Help!

I just use a filter cup with my keurig, not fancy but it makes the coffee the way I like it!

When you say "Filter Cup" do you mean the little mesh "K-Cups" that you fill with your own coffee and put into a plastic housing to use like a typical one? If so, I've had terrible luck doing that. I even consulted for a period of time with Black Dog about how to properly use their coffee in one of these. We tried fine, course and medium grind and couldn't make it work with their freshly roasted stuff. Essentially there was too much oil and the mesh became clogged and it overfilled the water, spewing the grinds everywhere. The older the beans, the better it worked. Admittedly, I only tested two different "baskets" but it worked the same with both. Well, didn't work, more like it. If you ahve a solution I'm all ears.

I'm telling ya, I've tried it all. Oh, I have a chemex also.It's good but the coffee gets too cold too quickly. Plus, I have a SS filter and it drains too slowly so I can't fill the filter once. I have to do it in stages. Tedious.

akpreacher
Forum Denizen

Post by akpreacher » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:17 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
akpreacher wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:48 pm
I'm in a rut. Help!

When you say "Filter Cup" do you mean the little mesh "K-Cups" that you fill with your own coffee and put into a plastic housing to use like a typical one? If so, I've had terrible luck doing that. I even consulted for a period of time with Black Dog about how to properly use their coffee in one of these. We tried fine, course and medium grind and couldn't make it work with their freshly roasted stuff. Essentially there was too much oil and the mesh became clogged and it overfilled the water, spewing the grinds everywhere. The older the beans, the better it worked. Admittedly, I only tested two different "baskets" but it worked the same with both. Well, didn't work, more like it. If you ahve a solution I'm all ears.

I'm telling ya, I've tried it all. Oh, I have a chemex also.It's good but the coffee gets too cold too quickly. Plus, I have a SS filter and it drains too slowly so I can't fill the filter once. I have to do it in stages. Tedious.
Hmmm I think my mom picked our current one up from Walmart because she accidentally threw ours away. It might be this one:

https://www.amazon.com/LivingAid-Reusab ... LQ67NVPFZA

Also we use a burr grinder set to medium for drip coffee.

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Ok I'll be that guy. I have a can (what a start) of Folgers Butter-Nut at work that I brew a pot of near every night working midnights. Butter-Nut was a diner coffee back in the day and it has a following in the American Midwest. It can stay on the burner for hours and not go bad while also not bothering a stomach if its the only thing in it. My mom had this at the house all the time and that as well as Hills Bros (what my grandparents had) are the 2 big brand coffees I get.

I have had some of the Black Dog stuff- the Dogwatch dark and the Indian Monsoon were good stuff if memory serves, but in the end I am but a simple common man.

As for k-cups I go with either Hills Bros or Camerons Kona blend.
Attachments
butternutcoffee.png
butternutcoffee.png (170.28 KiB) Viewed 28474 times
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:01 pm

815DC wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:33 pm
Butter-Nut was a diner coffee back in the day and it has a following in the American Midwest. It can stay on the burner for hours and not go bad while also not bothering a stomach if its the only thing in it.
All of that is completely new information to me. I grew up in the midwest and our coffee was Hills Bros or Folgers. I have never heard of Butter Nut. Chock full O' Nuts is the closest to it bu tthat stuff sucked. Even to an 18 year old back in the day. lol