Diets/style of eating

Pics and recipes...show off your latest creations.
Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Diets/style of eating

Post by Zedman05 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Well, I am officially Keto. I have been trying it out and living it fully for 2 months now, and it just works. Love the foods I can eat. Love the fact that calories don't mean a thing. Love the fact that I can go almost a full day without eating and having to not feel starved to death. Love the way my body is healing my joint pains faster. Love the fact that I am eating REAL foods. Love how I am actually cooking real meals....which is actually a bit difficult with our sports schedule.
I imagine I may get a question or two here, and maybe some flack, but hey, bring it on, I am always up for discusion.

Ketogenic = 80% fats. 15% protiens. 5% carbs. Roughly. You can go up and down with those as you need, but always try to keep carbs under 8% and protiens under 20%.

I never realized how much carbs I had been eating and how it was affecting my body. I have lost only 12 lb's, but I was already in a fairly ( what I thought) athletic state. I have lost 2 pant sizes though, which is the marker for me. I can fit into pants from when I was 20 again.

I have tried a few different diets that helped, but ultimately were unsustainable over the long haul as too much restrictions, but this one is easy for me.
Cheers.
Last edited by Zedman05 on Thu May 18, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick_O
Petit Robusto

Re: Diets/style of eating

Post by Nick_O » Thu May 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Never heard of it until this morning. I Joogled it up and found tons of conflicting information. I'm now more confused than I was when I knew nothing of it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Greetings, Nick! Hop on over to our introductions page and let us knwo a bit about yourself!

Regarding the topic at hand, "diets" never appealed to me. They always seemed counter intuitive. They try to change your body appearance instead of changing how you live when you're NOT on a diet. I dunno. I can certainly see the purpose of focusing on losing weight; I have done this intentionally prior to my wedding. But, I more subscribe to changing your habits. Find some sort of exercise you can make part of your routine. Join a team. Pick up a hobby. Add something you'll want to do instead of taking out things you already do. Regarding diet, holy shit that's a lot of fat. I don't even know how you do that. If you're eating a pound of food a day, 375 grams of that is supposed to be fat? That seems... hard to do. The best thing I have found for being healthy is to surround yourself by healthy stuffs. I make my own hummus and always have veggies around. I don't just buy them, I wash, cut up and portion them out so I can just grab and go. We don't really eat out except for Friday nights when we order pizza. We make dinner at home on the other nights. Typically we use a "meal planning" service (think Blue Apron). It's unprepared food that arrives as ingredients. You put into your meal what you need instead of processed elements you may not even realize. Veggies, grains, meats. Done. I am 188 at every annual physical for the past 3 years. I could lose weight (and probably should drop 15-20 pounds) but this has become my lifestyle. I can maintain a lifestyle. I cannot maintain a diet.

I hold exercising in the same regard as I do dieting. It's fine to start running to stay healthy but if you hate it, you'll drop it like a bad habit when the going gets tough. Exercise and struggle through the phase of getting in shape cardiovascularly. Once you've done that than change what you're doing to somethign that's fun. Find a racquetball partner. Start swimming again. Compete in individual events (tough mudders, etc). Just do SOMETHING to be active. Exercising is a way to get in shape. Staying in shape requires something you enjoy or it will not happen.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:39 am

This, in a nutshell, is the issue. I too never really believed in "diets". I have always been of the mindset " stay active and eat decently, and you should have no issues". Well that idea has kept me slowly inching up the weight and fat-retaining scale. This way of eating is a point of contention for most who see it. You look and say "how can you eat that much fat !? It is completely unhealthy according to the dietary guidelines we have always been told". That is exactly the issue. We have been sold a load of (pardon my french) bullshit since the50's/60's. To be honest, this isn't a diet for me, it is a way of life. I am not doing this for weight loss at all. I do want my body to "look" better by dropping fat that I cannot otherwise do, but the extra health benefits ( yes there are many many benefits even though it seems counter intuitive) are crazy.
If you remember Pete Daly from Australia, who was a Dog Watch listener, he has been doing it for 4.5 months, and his doctor is amazed at the bloodwork and transformation.
I HIGHLY recommend listening to a podcast called Keto Talk with Jimmy Moore and The Doc. Please, if you have any questions, just give it at least 3, but better yet, 5 podcasts. I too was sceptical, but have seen a major difference first hand.
It really isn't that hard to change some things. I wouldn't be posting all this in here if I didn't think this was something that could help others, honestly. You guys are the first that I have actually let know publicly as I feel that we are all friends personally, by this point, and I am interested in helping

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Fri May 19, 2017 1:45 pm

From what foods are getting most of your fats?
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:08 pm

I have a lot of coconut oil. In my coffees. Cooking with it. It is very very easy to use. Higher smoke point to fry things with. I like the refined as I am not a huge coconut flavor guy.
My breakfast every morning consists of: 4-5 strips of bacon and 3 eggs. Cook the eggs in the bacon fat after those are done. Then add coconut oil to coffee. Flavorless.
I can go until supper most days without eating easily, where 3 months ago I was STARVING by 11 am. At supper I will have some kind of meat ( like a small chicken breast or a pork chop) and half an avocado or some guacamole and as much cheese as I can handle. If I need a snack later, it is a couple pepperoni sticks and some cheese of some sort.
I have always only drank water during the work days exclusively, so that hasnt changed, but instead of a cigar with cola of some sort, I stick with decafinated coffee at night or Zevia Cola drink .... or GT's Kombucha drinks in the last few days. Amazing.
Kurt; I am not eating that much fat, I am just reducing the amount of food ingested to a more adequate level, and then the fats are then being used to fuel me. You can stuff yourself full of cheese and salami all day if you wanted.
I also like to eat full fat ceasar salads with avocado on top. Wonderful. Maybe add some chicken in there. A bunch of real bacon bits....come on...who doesnt like that !

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Oh, btw, if you have, or are on the way to having diabetus, you need to seriously consider looking at this way of eating. There have been many many people who have gotten off insuline by eating this way, and many many others who stopped themselves from getting to that point as well.
We have been told to excercise all our lives, but the food we use to fuel our bodies over the last 60 years has increasingly given us diabetus.....

All I am saying is that you all ( of course if you are reading this ) deserve to know that there are options.

SWEDEN has literally changed their national dietary program to this recommended eay of eating recently because their scientists didn't just believe, they researched and studied. Look it up.
I consider you all friends, and thus figured I should share this so that you all have a better educated option.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:58 pm

Well, I'm touched. Honestly. Kind words.
You're not a guy who jumps into conversation every other week with the "new best thing!" so I immediately associate legitimacy to the topic now that you've mentioned it a few times. What do you do about cravings for other foods? Nothing you're mentioning has sugar and I have been known to crave "something sweet" from time to time. I don't reach for a half a cake or anything but (we eat dinner early) at 9pm some nights I have a bowl of oatmeal or cereal (not sugar coated crap but other stuff like Granola or raisin bran). How is this different from the "Atkins" craze 15-20 years ago? Or even the Palio mentality? It all sounds eerily similar: Sub something in for carbs (protein, fat, etc) and you'll drop pounds and increase heart health. Why fat instead of protein? Is it the fat that makes this more healthy or the lack of carbs? How does your grocery bill look now in comparison? Is the loss of processed food as responsible for the loss in weight as the high fat/low carb structure of things? How easy would this be for a non-dairy eater? Does your family do the same thing? Are you needing to supplement for current dietary choices with vitamins, smoothies?
Damn, that's a lot of questions. Good luck weeding through all that!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:00 pm

How are Veggies restricted? How are fruits restricted? I noticed you didn't really list those in your diet.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:55 pm

First thing: those are a lot of questions, heh. Yes, I am not a big "fad" type guy. Like I said, I have tried other stuff, and never said anything because I wanted to experiment myself.
Second thing: sugars. Your cravings are mainly the response your hormones and gut-track are pushing. The cravings are something everyone has to deal with individually. I am always dealing with it, for instance; yesterday I took the kids out for lunch after the lacrosse tournament. They got birgers, fries, poutine ( sooo hard to resist), fountain pop and real-milk sundaes. I watched and knew I could eat later as I had food at home that wouldn't make me feel bad after eating. It was tough, but it is a choice, not a diet now.
I snack on pork rinds, cheese, pepperoni sticks, keto ice cream, leftover supper ( had butter chicken the other night left over), pork belly....whichever.
It is different only from atkins and palio in that their carb intake was too high to keep you burning fats. Too much protien causes a raised insuline response, and thus more of a storage of that substance for energy later as a fat on your body response.
The lack of carbs is to reduce the inflamation, and thus increase the bodies ability to heal the rest of what is wrong (basically). The fats are what drive the proper hormone response in the body.
Yes, I am sure eliminating processed foods has had a good impact on how I feel, generally, I can never deny that. I wasn't a huge eater of them though in the first place.
Grocery bill is close to the same. Some things are just pricier, but with less of an apetite, I eat less. Plus eating 3 dozen eggs a week isnt all that expensive.
Dairy is actually good for the keto diet. No carbs, and high fats. Just eat real cheeses, not pre-packaged shredded cheeses.
I am the only one in my house to eat like this. My wife thinks I am an idiot, while she follows the "points" program and has enough at the end of the day for a beer and clam....but starves herself of essential nourishment the rest of the day.... My brother knew about this, and has just started this week. He had heard nothing but good things from others before I brought it up 2 weeks ago.
There are differing thoughts on vitamins. Depends on what you eat. I eat my veggies and greens, so its not as bad. Others need to supplement for a loss of stuff as they just eat cheese and salami's all the time.
Veggies can have a decent amount of carbs. Fruits, mainly, are restricted other than berries due to super high sugar content vs. carb count vs. fiber count.

Here is a link if you really are interested.
https://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/