Soups On

Pics and recipes...show off your latest creations.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Soups On

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:22 am

My wife is horribly sick at home so I made her some Turkey soup this weekend. It's pretty standard but a few minor modifications I figured I'd share. Change 1: Start with bones for making your stock. A cheater way to do this is to buy a roasting chicken (precooked) at the grocery store, butcher it and put all skin, bones, innards, etc in a dutch oven after you've separated the meat. Pan roast these parts and develop a fond on the bottom of the pot. After a while of cooking them add your standard stock components with one major difference. ADD 1LB OF 85% GROUND TURKEY. At some point in the past I saw an America's Test Kitchen where they did this for a chicken stew they were creating. It adds an unbelievable amount of flavor without even having to brown the meat. You have the fond from the carcass, the surface area from the ground turkey, the roasted intensity of the bones. It's such a cheater way to make killer stock.
Change 2: Dice some potatoes. salt liberally. leave on a plate for at least 30 minutes. Throw them in a pan/pot with some oil and fry them on one side. Don't touch them for 10 minutes so they develop a deep brown color. Add your stock to this pot when making your final soup. Scrape up the brown bits and stir around the potato. It should already be cooked if your pieces were bite sized enough. Add your other soup fixins and eat. The potato is salty enough to not taste bland in the broth and the browning gave another nice roasted flavor to the whole soup.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Soups On

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:53 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:My wife is horribly sick at home so I made her some Turkey soup this weekend. It's pretty standard but a few minor modifications I figured I'd share. Change 1: Start with bones for making your stock. A cheater way to do this is to buy a roasting chicken (precooked) at the grocery store, butcher it and put all skin, bones, innards, etc in a dutch oven after you've separated the meat. Pan roast these parts and develop a fond on the bottom of the pot. After a while of cooking them add your standard stock components with one major difference. ADD 1LB OF 85% GROUND TURKEY. At some point in the past I saw an America's Test Kitchen where they did this for a chicken stew they were creating. It adds an unbelievable amount of flavor without even having to brown the meat. You have the fond from the carcass, the surface area from the ground turkey, the roasted intensity of the bones. It's such a cheater way to make killer stock.
Change 2: Dice some potatoes. salt liberally. leave on a plate for at least 30 minutes. Throw them in a pan/pot with some oil and fry them on one side. Don't touch them for 10 minutes so they develop a deep brown color. Add your stock to this pot when making your final soup. Scrape up the brown bits and stir around the potato. It should already be cooked if your pieces were bite sized enough. Add your other soup fixins and eat. The potato is salty enough to not taste bland in the broth and the browning gave another nice roasted flavor to the whole soup.
This sounds purty darn good!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.