Zaya Rum

Pics and recipes...show off your latest creations.
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Zaya Rum

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:29 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the sale, Craig. My first thoughts, though, are leading me to think the Zacapa is the superior fluid. This is decent enough, but there is some "chemicalness" in the aftertaste. Perhaps this is the result of the changes you mentioned...
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (201.42 KiB) Viewed 9309 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Zaya Rum

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:36 am

The chemicalness is foreign to me though I do think it's a hotter spirit on the finish now. Perhaps what I'm calling heat, you're attributing to what you're tasting. The nose on Zaya is possibly my favorite part. What a vanilla aroma. At $29.99 a bottle, it's a superior purchase to the zacappa for me. If I was getting some odd flavor like you might be, it would certainly change my opinion.
Hope it's enjoyable a bit, at least!

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:37 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:The chemicalness is foreign to me though I do think it's a hotter spirit on the finish now. Perhaps what I'm calling heat, you're attributing to what you're tasting. The nose on Zaya is possibly my favorite part. What a vanilla aroma. At $29.99 a bottle, it's a superior purchase to the zacappa for me. If I was getting some odd flavor like you might be, it would certainly change my opinion.
Hope it's enjoyable a bit, at least!
Last night, my initial thought was that, "well, I'll just take it to the Humidor on the 22nd and give it to Craig." Tonight I'm enjoying it a while lot more. So... if theres any left, I'll still bring it to the Humidor. You just gotta show up!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:55 am

Zacapa (23) is far superior. You weren't mistaken @stewmuse.....

Sent via smoke signal from the tropics....
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:21 pm

If one needs a rum to kick their teeth in and say 'hello' they can always call upon the Kraken. LOL
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:41 am

Kip wrote:Zacapa (23) is far superior. You weren't mistaken @stewmuse.....

Sent via smoke signal from the tropics....
Who asked you anyways? Hmm?

CigarCity
Not just Varsity..CigarCity!

Post by CigarCity » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:42 pm

The pre-change Zaya (12 y/o aged rum) is much better than the new recipe (12 aged rums.) Very sneaky how they kept the "12" on the bottle but changed the fine print. The new stuff isn't bad, but is just lacks the depth of the old version. Luckily I found 6 dusty bottles of the old stuff at a local mom and pop liquor store. The guy was beside himself that I was buying six bottles and I was happy to find the original recipe. Win/Win!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:15 pm

CigarCity wrote:The pre-change Zaya (12 y/o aged rum) is much better than the new recipe (12 aged rums.) Very sneaky how they kept the "12" on the bottle but changed the fine print. The new stuff isn't bad, but is just lacks the depth of the old version. Luckily I found 6 dusty bottles of the old stuff at a local mom and pop liquor store. The guy was beside himself that I was buying six bottles and I was happy to find the original recipe. Win/Win!
I would make it worth your while in cigars for two of those bottles. I am not kidding.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:01 am

CigarCity wrote:The pre-change Zaya (12 y/o aged rum) is much better than the new recipe (12 aged rums.) Very sneaky how they kept the "12" on the bottle but changed the fine print. The new stuff isn't bad, but is just lacks the depth of the old version. Luckily I found 6 dusty bottles of the old stuff at a local mom and pop liquor store. The guy was beside himself that I was buying six bottles and I was happy to find the original recipe. Win/Win!
I'm also interested in a bottle if you're willing.

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Post by f.sinagra » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:16 pm

Place had the new Zaya (the bottling looks cheesy). Can you go wrong with Flor de Cana? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia