Arroz

Pics and recipes...show off your latest creations.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Arroz

Post by Kip » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:11 am

So, this isn't really a recipe as such - at least not one to which you'd typically be accustomed. I think I've even mentioned it on the show at times, but in recent weeks I've been putting it through its paces and it just works. When we first came, the Dominican ladies wanted to teach Kristi how to make proper rice, and this is how they taught her:
  • 1. Use an appropriate pot for the amount of rice you're cooking. This isn't a tight tolerance...just don't use a 16 qt. stockpot to make 1/2 cup of rice. Other than that, size and shape doesn't matter.

2. Rinse the rice a couple times. Sink water is OK (probably doesn't matter to most of you guys, but here you don't normally ingest water from the tap. We will use sink water for pasta, since less is absorbed....but rice takes it all in. Discard the rinse water.

3. This is why pot size is important - put (drinking) water onto the rice until it's one finger's thickness more depth than the rice.

4. Put more oil than you think you should and more salt than an American would into the rice....these are the measurements, folks.

5. Place it onto high heat until it just begins to boil. Reduce to low heat and simmer until all the water is gone. ALL of it. When it's near the end, there will still be small bubbles making their way to the surface of the rice. Wait for it....until it's all gone.

6. Let it sit for 5 minutes after turning off the heat, then "fluff" it with a wooden spoon. Serve.
I don't know how this works, but I don't' seem to be able to screw it up too badly. I was never a huge rice fan before moving down, but I rarely have a day without it now. I also never thought I'd buy rice in 50lb bags, but that's where I find myself these days...
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Arroz

Post by Kip » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:13 am

As a sidenote, even on simmer the rice will bubble and foam up - possibly overflowing. This is OK, except it makes a mess on the stovetop. I keep an eye on it, and lift the lid slightly each time it is about to go over. This kills the "foam" and prevents it from creeping out. I do this a few times, until the water level has dropped enough that it stops.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:16 am

Bonus sidenote...this isn't a Dominican habit, and probably not even normal human behavior, but I've taken to putting a bit of pico de gallo on my rice (unless it's part of a greater dish like locrio). I dig it.

Thick Thai hot sauce works well, too.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:22 pm

Kip wrote:Bonus sidenote...this isn't a Dominican habit, and probably not even normal human behavior, but I've taken to putting a bit of pico de gallo on my rice (unless it's part of a greater dish like locrio). I dig it.

Thick Thai hot sauce works well, too.
Per the posts above, to paraphrase an officer/cavalryman to Kevin Costner in "Dances with Wolves," "ya gone Dominican, aintchya?"
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.