Good grief.

Pics and recipes...show off your latest creations.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Good grief.

Post by Kip » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:35 pm

So, I've worked myself up into a lather since finally putting together a usable smoker. I've been beyond ready for some smoked pork...

Now, at the 11th hour, I'm realizing I can't get celery seeds here. It sounds like a small thing, but this is *vital* to the BBQ rub. If I don't find, one of you is going to need a plane ticket so you can bring me some down. I'll make it worth your trouble in cigars and BBQ....

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Re: Good grief.

Post by jledou » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:19 pm

From the Google:

Celery Seed Substitute. One teaspoon of celery seed equals 2 tablespoons minced celery tops. Other options are dill seed or celery salt (reduce the salt elsewhere in the recipe)

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:59 pm

jledou wrote:Other options are dill seed or celery salt (reduce the salt elsewhere in the recipe)
This is my backup plan. The rub has quite a bit of salt, so I was going to reduce that and use celery salt in my best guess as to quantity.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:05 pm

typically I will use a store prepped rub which I can find in abundance here in KC. We don't tend to see celery seed/salt here but typical will be sugar/brown sugart, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder/salt, onion powder/salt. Then that pork is resting over Hickory Smoke for the next 12-15 hours over hickory smoke.

I would bet that if you dried out some celery tops and chopped them you would end up with the flavor you are looking for.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Re: RE: Good grief.

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:31 pm

Kip wrote:So, I've worked myself up into a lather since finally putting together a usable smoker. I've been beyond ready for some smoked pork...

Now, at the 11th hour, I'm realizing I can't get celery seeds here. It sounds like a small thing, but this is *vital* to the BBQ rub. If I don't find, one of you is going to need a plane ticket so you can bring me some down. I'll make it worth your trouble in cigars and BBQ....

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
I am in. I have been stocking celery seeds just for this type of catastrophy. I thought I would just hold onto 672,802 seeds until I got hungry, but hey, now I have my first client. I get free bbq and a cigar or two, I am in !

Cigar F^iend