Summer = vegetable buffet

Pics and recipes...show off your latest creations.
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Summer = vegetable buffet

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:08 pm

I have really enjoyed this year's weather and the bounty of fresh vegetables in the stores and from my garden. Salsas and picos, lettuce-free salads, and today, bruschetta, both traditional (just the tomatoes, basil, garlic, and ollive oil) and then more "jacked up" versions with onion, mushrooms, cucumber, and BACON! All followed by a selection of cheeses. Totally (almost) healthy and way freakin' delicious!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (260.43 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Summer = vegetable buffet

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:48 am

There is nothing I want to pass on to my kids more than how to treat a garden. There is every life lesson I can think of, perfectly personified, in a plot of land needing your help to provide something redeeming and healthy to you. Think about it.

That being said, I've apparently kicked my garden in the nuts this year. I've not harvested a tomato yet...

PS- Mike, if you like eating "raw" olive oil, try Calumela. It's the perfect mix of pepper and fruit. Truly spectacular with a garden's bounty.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:33 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:There is nothing I want to pass on to my kids more than how to treat a garden. There is every life lesson I can think of, perfectly personified, in a plot of land needing your help to provide something redeeming and healthy to you. Think about it.

That being said, I've apparently kicked my garden in the nuts this year. I've not harvested a tomato yet...

PS- Mike, if you like eating "raw" olive oil, try Calumela. It's the perfect mix of pepper and fruit. Truly spectacular with a garden's bounty.
Never heard of "raw" olive oil. What's the diff?
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:16 pm

Limoncillos (quenepas for you Puerto Rican folks)....

We distributed water filters today. I was given the best coffee (ever), and a bunch of sour oranges, sweet limes, and chinola (passionfruit). Un buen día....

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:49 pm

Nice!! BTW, where is everyone??

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:12 pm

Kip wrote:Limoncillos (quenepas for you Puerto Rican folks)....

We distributed water filters today. I was given the best coffee (ever), and a bunch of sour oranges, sweet limes, and chinola (passionfruit). Un buen día....

Does this mean you know your chit from your chinola???
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: RE: Re: Summer = vegetable buffet

Post by Kip » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:35 am

Stewmuse wrote:
Kip wrote:Limoncillos (quenepas for you Puerto Rican folks)....

Does this mean you know your chit from your chinola???
Sí!

I also know my life was lacking all those years I lived stateside and never experienced fresh chinola juice.

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Stewmuse wrote:
kurtdesign1 wrote:There is nothing I want to pass on to my kids more than how to treat a garden. There is every life lesson I can think of, perfectly personified, in a plot of land needing your help to provide something redeeming and healthy to you. Think about it.

Olive oil that isn't cooked :) You seem to be making summer salads with raw veggies not sauteing with it. That's all I mean. If you heat it, it loses its finer flavors so quality isn't as important.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:34 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote: PS- Mike, if you like eating "raw" olive oil, try Calumela. It's the perfect mix of pepper and fruit. Truly spectacular with a garden's bounty.
Never heard of "raw" olive oil. What's the diff?[/quote]

Olive oil that isn't cooked :) You seem to be making summer salads with raw veggies not sauteing with it. That's all I mean. If you heat it, it loses its finer flavors so quality isn't as important.[/quote]

Doing both, really, but thanks for the clarification. We, officially, have tomatoes "out the wazoo..."
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:00 pm

Stewmuse wrote:
Olive oil that isn't cooked :) You seem to be making summer salads with raw veggies not sauteing with it. That's all I mean. If you heat it, it loses its finer flavors so quality isn't as important.
Doing both, really, but thanks for the clarification. We, officially, have tomatoes "out the wazoo..."
Well then, send some my way. I am convinced that my 8 hours of direct sunlight per day is not enough for tomatoes. I can grow em green but not much else. My cucumbers and green beans, on the other hand, grow like wild. I am getting probably 2 a day of the Cucs and 20/day of the beans.