Grill revival

Pics and recipes...show off your latest creations.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Grill revival

Post by Kip » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:59 am

This is my copy of Steve Raichlen's "How to Grill." It has tips, tricks, etc about various methods....but the REAL value in this book are the recipes inside. Notice those pages falling out and the general wear/tear? It's worse inside from all the spills and such. I've made use of this thing 10x over any other food related book in my life. I can't recommend it enough. It's fantastic. He has several other books - and I have owned most of them - but this one has never failed me. We've made dozens (literally) of the things contained in it, and they've all been winners. Crazy good book.

...sent by smoke signal from Cigar Country
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:04 am

It can be found in bookstores (do those things still exist?), and even at BassPro Shops....or Amazon, for a self-serving plug. At Amazon, if you're the digital type, the Kindle version (which will work on your smart phone or tablet; not just Kindle) is only $5.65. Paper copies run $15-20, depending on where you buy it.

This book is the origin for many of the staple dishes that I"ve become "the guy" for in my little circle of friends (smoked salmon, pulled pork, pico de gallo, various sauces....it's a healthy list). Sometimes, it's worth tinkering and experimenting to fine-tune a recipe to your personal tastes, but right out of the book works great in this case as well.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:09 am

I have that book and while my list isn't "healthy" I certainly use it for an undeniable "how to" on all things grilling

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:52 pm

A grilled seafood pasta of scallops, shrimp, and squid placed in sauce of cherry tomatoes, shallots, garlic, parsley, and white wine. These were huge shrimp and scallops, with the 12 shrimp weighing just under a pound, and the 8 scallops a little over a pound. Yay, Boston Fish Market!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (226.42 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (248.29 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (198.63 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:47 pm

So...esteemed comrades....what are some good things to make with lemons? We've never had a huge use for them, but now that we're in the DR they are not normally available. A local international market has them right now, and it's a big - BIG - deal. People are going nuts. Apparently, every other kind of fruit is grown on this island *except* lemons. There are limes spilling out of every crevice in the country, but lemons are normally nearly impossible to come by. I figured if I can find something useful I'd make it just to get a fix.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:47 pm

PS - stewmuse - those scallops look fantastic!

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:55 pm

Kip wrote:PS - stewmuse - those scallops look fantastic!
Thanks. The scallops, actually, turned out the best. I must admit to overcooking the shrimp. I am an idiot. Not that that's news...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:41 am

When it's hot my wife and kids live on legit homemade lemonade. It's spectacular, though we fight about the amount of sugar to use. One of my favorite lemon things is grilled/roasted cheese witth a healthy squeeze of lemon juice & herbs. The lemon makes it less stringy and the flavor is to die for. Another gooden is grill marinated whitefish. Marinade for no more than 20-30 minutes a firm white fish with lemon juice, olive oil, fresh herbs, Lots of S&P & a cut up Chili or two. If you hit the sweet spot of fatty fish:Marinade time just right, it's stupid amazing how much flavor the fish absorbs. I don't know why additional time in the juice/oil mixture actually seems to not impart additional flavor. It's spectacular with the fatty bits absorbign the herb flavor and the meaty bits getting the citrus. Excellent. I'm a lemon rind in whiskey guy. A twist goes a long way with American whiskey. Yumm. I also like zest in just about any veggie salad. Lemon zest makes a tomato cucumber onion salad spectacular.
Enjoy. Oh, carmalized brusselsprouts (or broccoli) are devine with parm & lemon juice. Nice and simple.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:48 pm

Grilled salmon steaks and pineapple with an avocado/lemon juice/basil/mint/garlic sauce. The salmon and pineapple came out really fine and the accompanying sauce was very "brightly" flavored.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (240.81 KiB) Viewed 3855 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:56 am

All right, men. Getting ready to lay these on the grill. Ribs, twice baked potatoes, and fresh pineapple slices to be chased by some beers. Football day and foods!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (314.56 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.