Grill revival

Pics and recipes...show off your latest creations.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Grill revival

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:53 am

Stewmuse wrote:This might be one of my new favorite flavors - grilled chorizo with sweet peppers and onions. Mighty tasty...
Mike, do the onion and pepper take on that chorizo spice or are they simply grill-flavored? I enjoy a good kabob as much as the next guy but I often find the veg to be bland. The fatty sausage is maybe a great way to help out here. Do tell!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:31 am

We've begun throwing chorizo into the paella rather than the typical seafood mix found here. I dig it.

...sent by smoke signal from Cigar Country
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:21 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Stewmuse wrote:This might be one of my new favorite flavors - grilled chorizo with sweet peppers and onions. Mighty tasty...
Mike, do the onion and pepper take on that chorizo spice or are they simply grill-flavored? I enjoy a good kabob as much as the next guy but I often find the veg to be bland. The fatty sausage is maybe a great way to help out here. Do tell!
More of the chorizo gets in if they're all on the same skewer, but then again, you get everything together in each bite when it's all wrapped up, so...

I suppose you could cook all three together, alternating each veg with a piece of meat. That would keep the veggies super moist, too. Have fun...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:26 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:Since I've given up beef for the past year or so I'm venturing out on my "burger" front. I think I've found a winner. Mix ground turkey with a spiced panade (a slice of white bread mashed with a fatty milk to create a pulp). I typically mix onion powder and corriander into this. Cut up a plethora of fresh herbs (perhaps a 1/2 cup for a pound + of meat) and mix together. A little olive oil during the mix and you're good. Salt as they are placed on a well greased grill. They're fantastic with a sharp cheese and an herb mayo (1/2 mayo, 1/2 greek yogurt, red wine vinegar to taste, salt & onion powder plus lots of herbs. Rosemary is a must here). The cheese, herb mayo and a hit of sriracha are a perfect summer add on to this already very flavorful & moist burger. 160 on the grill and throw them on a good quality bun. Excellent...
I like the sound of everything here except the panade. Why not just mix those spices into the ground turkey? Bulk? Sounds like it would just dry things out, esp since the turkey isn't very fatty/juicy to start.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:50 pm

Stewmuse wrote:
kurtdesign1 wrote:Since I've given up beef for the past year or so I'm venturing out on my "burger" front. I think I've found a winner. Mix ground turkey with a spiced panade (a slice of white bread mashed with a fatty milk to create a pulp). I typically mix onion powder and corriander into this. Cut up a plethora of fresh herbs (perhaps a 1/2 cup for a pound + of meat) and mix together. A little olive oil during the mix and you're good. Salt as they are placed on a well greased grill. They're fantastic with a sharp cheese and an herb mayo (1/2 mayo, 1/2 greek yogurt, red wine vinegar to taste, salt & onion powder plus lots of herbs. Rosemary is a must here). The cheese, herb mayo and a hit of sriracha are a perfect summer add on to this already very flavorful & moist burger. 160 on the grill and throw them on a good quality bun. Excellent...
I like the sound of everything here except the panade. Why not just mix those spices into the ground turkey? Bulk? Sounds like it would just dry things out, esp since the turkey isn't very fatty/juicy to start.
Its actually the opposite. The panade holds the moisture found in the dairy through the cooking process so you can cook to 165 without drying the moisture in the meat. Think of well done beef: dry. Now think of well done chicken/turkey: even drier. The panade bonds to the moisture and Kees the proteins hydrated throughout the process resulting in juicy, yet well done burgers. It also works with beef if you want to keep those with compromised immune systems a little safer (read: kids). Give it a try. It doesn't taste of bread or dairy at all.

You've been Tapatalk'd

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Also key here, don't salt until cooking. Ground meat compacts and gets denser if sated ahead of time. It also draws the moisture in the panade out prematurely

You've been Tapatalk'd

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Workin' on lunch...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (257.47 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (248.57 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:52 pm

Take those pineapple rings and dip them in coconut milk. Then, sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar and grill just enough to caramelize it. You're welcome.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:11 pm

I may just try that!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:58 pm

Sent that to my wife. She preps, I grill.