Dominican grub

Pics and recipes...show off your latest creations.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Dominican grub

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:56 am

Oh, damn. I'm hungry. That fish looks spectacular.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:40 pm

@Stewmuse, those tostones look fantastic! Great job with them! Next, try slicing *green* plantains into paper thin discs and fry them in 1/4" or so of oil. They're a great replacement for potato chips. When removed from the oil, just lightly salt before they cool, and eat em!

...sent by smoke signal from Cigar Country
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:23 pm

Kip wrote:@Stewmuse, those tostones look fantastic! Great job with them! Next, try slicing *green* plantains into paper thin discs and fry them in 1/4" or so of oil. They're a great replacement for potato chips. When removed from the oil, just lightly salt before they cool, and eat em!

Thanks. I also sliced some thin, long strips like in my ceviche shrimp at the Sunday lunch spot, and then fried them once. I liked these strips much better than the tostones. I'll try your "chips" sometime, for sure!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Not sure if this counts as "grub," but aside from the fine (and some less fine) cigars I brought back from the DR, I bought some Dominican coffee and rum. Neither were expensive at all. Two have proven very pleasant. The coffee, Cafe Monte Real, is really quite nice with a cocoa aroma to the grounds. I've already ordered two more pounds online at http://www.shopdominicancoffee.com. The two Ron Marcelo rums (350ml) were both about $6.00 a bottle. The Gran Anejo is really quite good over ice, though the regular Anejo is less so, altho fine as a mixer with Coke. If you have the chance, give 'em a try!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (264.51 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:09 am

I've recently become addicted to tostones. Badly. I've always liked them, but have slipped into a groove of making some every day at lunch. It takes less than 10 minutes, and the cost is about $0.30 per person....and they're delicious. I've had great success. I thought it was just my ability to produce a good deep-fried product, but Kristi says it's the cast iron. I put the oil into a cast iron dutch oven to fry them, and she believes that has an impact on the flavor.

Frankly, I don't care what it is. They're friggin' awesome....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:39 am

Kip wrote:I've recently become addicted to tostones. Badly. I've always liked them, but have slipped into a groove of making some every day at lunch. It takes less than 10 minutes, and the cost is about $0.30 per person....and they're delicious. I've had great success. I thought it was just my ability to produce a good deep-fried product, but Kristi says it's the cast iron. I put the oil into a cast iron dutch oven to fry them, and she believes that has an impact on the flavor.

I like them, too, but have had mixed results. Maybe it's the "Yankee plantains" I get...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

CigarCity
Not just Varsity..CigarCity!

Post by CigarCity » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:54 pm

LOVE me some tostones! We have them at the in-laws for appetizers (although with my cholesterol up I prob should lay off on the fried stuff. :( )

Also love maduro plantains.

Roast pork, black beans and rice and maduro plantains...lunch of CHAMPIONS!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:28 pm

Kip wrote:I've recently become addicted to tostones. Badly. I've always liked them, but have slipped into a groove of making some every day at lunch. It takes less than 10 minutes, and the cost is about $0.30 per person....and they're delicious. I've had great success. I thought it was just my ability to produce a good deep-fried product, but Kristi says it's the cast iron. I put the oil into a cast iron dutch oven to fry them, and she believes that has an impact on the flavor.

Chop, fry, smash, fry again, salt, eat?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Yep. Pretty much. Like I said, Kristi thinks my success has been largely due to 1)cast iron and 2) previously used oil