Coffee Stuff

Pics and recipes...show off your latest creations.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Coffee Stuff

Post by Kip » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:45 pm

I seem to remember @zedman giving us the details about his 45-minute French press method...but I don't remember them and can't find it here on the forum. I have a few questions, which I posted up in the "Minute Musings" today. Since I'm moving somewhere coffee is grown pretty heavily (although they aren't a world-power in the industry), I'm having some thought of equipping myself with some gear before the move so I can delve into the coffee world. I'm pretty much a neophyte - I have a basic drip maker, percolator and Bialetti moke. I don't know that I'll ever get into being a true coffee snob, but it's as good a time as any to jump. What are y'all's thoughts concerning the questions in the post (or other advice/info you may have at your fingertips)?
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Coffee Stuff

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:59 pm

This could get very indepth.

I find french press with a hot brew to be the most appropriate brewing style. I've made coffee probably 2 dozen ways and have a lot of issues with all of them. The most consistent and easy to replicate being the french press or "steep" and filter method.

Fresh roasted is incredibly important. If its older than 2 weeks, it's flavor is already partially gone.

Grind what you need, when you need it. Even a couple days prior to brewing is too long a wayt once the beans are ground.

Use a burr grinder, not a blade. Some will even go into more detail about type of burr but I haven't had enough to comment about that.

Water temperature is not as important as water quality. Good, light flavored water will be best. Filtered water from your house will impart flavor. I like distilled, actually, but it gets dangerous when heating.

Don't believe the hype about pressure when brewing. Pressure and heat mean acid and, IMO, the loss of the individuality of the bean.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:58 pm

Son of a....I should have sent you some coffee too. I knew I was missing something !

Cigar F^iend

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:25 am

I too, like the French press. (I'm interested in the 45 minute method) I also like the Aeropress, but it takes some commitment to make any coffee consistently great. That said, it is definitely more flavorful than a French press. You just run into a lot of acidity and bitterness while you're nailing down the best method for the beans.

Also ditto for the fresh beans and burr grinder.

Kid Corona

magste
Thor Down Under

Post by magste » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:39 am

French press 80% of the time for me. Sometimes drip coffee and the occational espresso based coffee when out.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:26 am

45 min process doesn't work for every coffee, but most.
I grind then boil the water. Put them both in a french press, but don't press it. I do put the lid on to try to keep as much heat in as possible then leave the stuff to "steep" for 30-45 mins. Basically, you wait as long as you want until the coffee is at your desired drinking temp.
I have done this for a couple years now and love the coffee. It smoothes it out completely and grabs a ton of extra flavor from the beans.

Cigar F^iend

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:59 pm

I've had problems with over extraction and slight bitterness. With any long-steep option I prefer cold brewing to avoid this, though it can DEFINITELY muddy up the flavors, IME. I am curious if bean terroir can change this, e.g. Guatemalan steeping for 6 hours would provide flavor without over extraction, while Nicaraguan steeping for 8 hours would provide flavor without over extraction.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:20 pm

The beans I use are 100% Indonesian.

Cigar F^iend