Coffee!!

Pics and recipes...show off your latest creations.
IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Re: Coffee!!

Post by IWinchester » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:07 am

Ooo bad news, I feel for ya!

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:06 am

Kip, jus realized there is a "general accompaniment" thread. Didn't know if you wanted to move this discussion there or not and kill this redundant thread :)

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:01 am

It doesn't bother me where it is now....if we combine everything, some things will get lost in the shuffle (well, assuming the forum grows enough :lol: ). I think as long as we put new threads into a forum that makes sense we're in good shape.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:56 am

Well.....I sent in an email about a year ago to "the show" about coffee, and didn't get a response, but hey....I am "just a podcast listener" haha.
I use french press method exclusively as I can control so many measures in one brew. My biggest thing with making a good mug of coffee is the steep time. I like my coffee ready to drink right from the pour, so I found myself leaving the beans to steep in the water for 30-45 minutes before pressing. This grabs all the flavors before you press, and actually helps reduce the acidity as well. It is like magic how much of a diference it makes.
Kicking Horse coffee, Pacific Pipeline blend is an awesome coffee if you have the ability to get it.

Cigar F^iend

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Been really thinking about getting a French press. Good tip there. Do you get grinds in your mug? I wouldn't mind, but I know my wife wouldn't like it

Kid Corona

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:21 pm

Meh, very few grinds. There is a small amount of stuff left in the bottom of the mug, but I always only drink 95% of my coffees. Not a big fan of the last little bit, it gets pretty strong

Cigar F^iend

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:02 pm

Zedman05 wrote:so I found myself leaving the beans to steep in the water for 30-45 minutes before pressing. This grabs all the flavors before you press, and actually helps reduce the acidity as well. It is like magic how much of a diference it makes.
I don't have a French press, so I don't even know how they work. Wouldn't 30-45 minutes result in cold coffee?
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Kip wrote:
Zedman05 wrote:so I found myself leaving the beans to steep in the water for 30-45 minutes before pressing. This grabs all the flavors before you press, and actually helps reduce the acidity as well. It is like magic how much of a diference it makes.
I don't have a French press, so I don't even know how they work. Wouldn't 30-45 minutes result in cold coffee?
Kip brings up a good point...

Regarding the flavor after a long steep, I was under the impression that over steeping can cause bitters to be detected. No?

You've been Tapatalk'd

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:04 pm

Only way to find out is to try it ;)
I have had nothing but positive comments when I make someone a coffee at home. I have had many people come back and ask for a coffee instead of a drink because they love my "secret recipe"...

Cigar F^iend