My current status

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

My current status

Post by Kip » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:37 am

I originally wasn't going to broadcast this publicly in any more detail than the quick announcement at the end of last week's show, but I've had a fair number of email inquiries. I figured I'd just spill the beans here....becauses the folks who are actually a part of the community participate here. Most, but not all, of the others are just "listening to a podcast."

I went to the doctor 2 Fridays ago with the headaches I've had every day for about 6 weeks or so. I also had lost some of my vision in my second eye. This happened in the left eye close to a year ago. I'd been told previously there were a few specks of blood on my left retina that were the likely cause, and not to worry unless it happened in the other eye. Well, for the past month or so it's been happening. He sent me for an MRI on Tuesday (9/30). I had that done, and got a call from the Dr. early Wednesday that I needed to come on in rather than wait on my scheduled appointment to review. Needless to say, I was a bit puckered. Barely 8 weeks after my Dad passed due to a brain tumor, that was a disconcerting call.

It turns out I do indeed have a brain tumor - but not the kind my Dad fought. In fact, it's entirely unrelated and 90%+ likely to be benign. It's a pituitary macroadenoma, measuring about 3.3cm x 2.8cm x 2.4cm. So, I'm currently signed up at a cancer center and making the rounds with an endocrinologist, neuro-opthalmologist, and neurosurgeon. There is an very low chance it could be the type that can be treated with only medication, and I had some bloodwork submitted yesterday that will bear that out. But, in all likelihood I will be having surgery to remove it some time in the next few weeks. I have appointments with all the other guys soon, and will meet again in a couple weeks with the endocrinologist to iron out details about surgery.

So that's why I will probably be absent the show for a few weeks.

**PS - For those interested, I've already been digging around and the American Cancer Society literature has found no link between this type of tumor and smoking. In fact, there are no known risk factors. Current thinking is that it's some how related to genetics, but nothing firm. At the moment, it's one of those things that "just happens." I've been brutally honest with my habits with the doctors and none have taken a hard line on the cigars. Post-surgery I will have to refrain for about 4-5 weeks depending on the healing time, but after that should be back to normal....
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: My current status

Post by Kip » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:39 am

Also - this is going to require me to delay my move to the DR for at least a couple months. I don't have anything clearer than that, just that I'll have a lot of follow-ups to make sure it's not growing back quickly post-op. I'll be figuring out all these details in the days ahead.

Our plan still progresses, though. We are continuing to sell off our possessions and make plans for the move. It's just a bit later than originally intended....

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Prayers are with you, man! You're a tough ol' bugger, I'm confident all will work out for the best and you and the family will get even more fulfillment out of a later move.

Kid Corona

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:23 am

As I mentioned earlier today, I'm glad you got some news about the tumor. Keep on keepin' on, man!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Steve D.
Piper in Progress

Post by Steve D. » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:27 am

Best wishes to you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomD
Tatuaje. Black.

Post by TomD » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:19 pm

Thoughts are with you.

TomD
Tatuaje. Black.

Post by TomD » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:32 pm

Thoughts are with you

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:44 am

Faker.

...Too Soon?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:26 am

Bite me :D

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:06 pm

"Bite me, Craig!" sounds as good as any other medical term. If it sticks, then perhaps it will branch out to related maladies. Of course, we'd have to come up with more names... "Blow me, Craig," "Stick it WAY up Your Ass, Craig," "You're a dick, Craig." Boy, this could be fun!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.