Health update

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Re: Health update

Post by jledou » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:38 pm

Shelter in place at home here. I am fortunately able to do 90+% of my work from home. The girls have been taking online dance classes and my wife is working on how to teach from home. Challenges but most importantly healthy here and the weather is warming up so walks and cigar time is increasing.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 pm

All locked down and sealed up. 8pm curfew, and the borders closed last week. The trickle of flights taking expats in/out will end this Thursday I believe. After that, nobody in/nobody out for a while. The US State Dept sent some strong warnings that anyone who can leave should because of what's likely to happen to the healthcare system here in the near future. We weren't in a position to leave, so we bought extra supplies and are pretty much homebound for a while. My wife and daughter's school is closed through April 27 (they're still teaching & attending, electronically), as are all my project schools (they're not). We have free time, but nowhere to go and no way to get there. Ain't that always the way :)

To be clear, there are relatively few positive cases here....but I 100% suspect that's attributable to a lack of testing supplies and outright deceit from the government. We'll see.

Sent via Caribbean smoke signal

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:55 am

Similar story here - just limiting the trips away from home, all schools closed so I am teaching 5 classes online with a combination of video lectures and live, on-line class chats/gatherings. On the plus side, theres lots of time to cook (and eat!) and I've rolled a buttload of cigars the past couple weeks. One hundred five and counting...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 am

I reckon the last flight out will be tonight. I don't like being stuck here with no way stateside if the turd hits the propeller, but we've worked without a net before. We're being as cautious as possible and basically making 1 trip to the grocery per week.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:25 pm

The (Dominican) president just expanded the curfew to 5pm-6am. Nobody outta the house between those hours, enforced by military patrols.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:38 am

Kip wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:25 pm
The (Dominican) president just expanded the curfew to 5pm-6am. Nobody outta the house between those hours, enforced by military patrols.

Well, as bad as all this is, at least you can sit on your balcony in relative peace now... ‘ceptin for the dogs, of course.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:05 am

It didn't take long, but the main hospital (and only one with reliable, trustworthy health care) is full with corona patients.

The mayor has asked the Health Ministry to militarily close Santiago, and all traffic in/out of the city except delivery of grocery, propane, and pharmacy.

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 am

Stewmuse wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:55 am
Similar story here - just limiting the trips away from home, all schools closed so I am teaching 5 classes online with a combination of video lectures and live, on-line class chats/gatherings. On the plus side, theres lots of time to cook (and eat!) and I've rolled a buttload of cigars the past couple weeks. One hundred five and counting...
Perhaps a special blend corona is in order?
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:46 am

Military lockdown... no me gusta. Can’t they just light some tires on fire?
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

KoaSmith
Petit Robusto

Post by KoaSmith » Mon May 15, 2023 5:43 am

I understand your frustration. Everyone's situation is different, and it can be tough to adjust to a new normal. I'm doing my best to handle my situation with positivity and resilience. Thank you for your support, and I wish you all the best on your healing journey.