I've been MIA a bit

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

I've been MIA a bit

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:24 pm

Apologies for being absent this past week but I've been in and out of the ER with an infection in my leg. It's still going but apparently under control. Infections are a crazy thing. I thought I snapped a ligament without any specific trauma, my ankle swelled up so big. I've put on 5 pounds of swelling and am nearly 2 weeks in and still can't walk right. Unbelievable.

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Re: I've been MIA a bit

Post by f.sinagra » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:Apologies for being absent this past week but I've been in and out of the ER with an infection in my leg. It's still going but apparently under control. Infections are a crazy thing. I thought I snapped a ligament without any specific trauma, my ankle swelled up so big. I've put on 5 pounds of swelling and am nearly 2 weeks in and still can't walk right. Unbelievable.
Prayers up! Speedy recovery, Craig!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:54 pm

Well that sucks. All the joking I dish out to you, I hope it is nothing serious and it gets cured/fixed up.

akpreacher
Forum Denizen

Post by akpreacher » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:31 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:Apologies for being absent this past week but I've been in and out of the ER with an infection in my leg. It's still going but apparently under control. Infections are a crazy thing. I thought I snapped a ligament without any specific trauma, my ankle swelled up so big. I've put on 5 pounds of swelling and am nearly 2 weeks in and still can't walk right. Unbelievable.
Praying for healing my friend!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:19 pm

The leg's getting better, slowly. I've got 7 prescriptions from the last week for this thing. 5 antibiotics, 1 ointment and a lasix for swelling. I'm practicing for old age, I guess. This is nuts. Doctor's are contradicting each other about what strain of bacteria this is and therefore prescribing medications that are ineffective for certain infections. No one has done a culture yet to determine specifically what we're dealing with because apparently there's risk of ... get this ... infection. :roll:
I literally asked one PA yesterday if he would just slice me open to see if the abscess could be cultured so I could have a definitive direction here. He wouldn't.
The ER says its MRSA and another doctor thinks its just a skin infection from a different Strep strain. So, I'm on multiple types of antibiotic categories in order to cover my bases. The bad thing here is that it's tearing me up inside and giving me crazy side effects.
Have you ever felt like your ankle was being drenched while you were walking? I have. An Internal Meds doc says that my nerves are so infected that they're sending incorrect signals to my brain and therefore having weird feelings compared to what I normally would experience.

The moral of the story, don't swim in Lake Michigan if your leg has ANY small cuts or wounds on it. That seems to be the consensus from my medical providers. Also, Smokinsteve: Remember how I thought I may have had a broken bone in my foot? Well, it was actually my infection. I had swelling and pain in my foot and ankle for weeks and it suddenly erupted into this the Friday before last.
The next moral, if you're slightly swollen and in pain and have no idea why, GO TO THE DOCTOR SOONER RATHER THAN LATER.

Cabaiguan juan
Churchill

Post by Cabaiguan juan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:08 pm

Is it that flesh eating bacteria? We’ve had some cases of that around here. I hope it’s not.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Cabaiguan juan wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:08 pm
Is it that flesh eating bacteria? We’ve had some cases of that around here. I hope it’s not.

No, no open or necrotic tissue. Thank goodness. It's just a good ole infection, right under the surface. Red and purple like a wicked bruise.

Cabaiguan juan
Churchill

Post by Cabaiguan juan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:05 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Cabaiguan juan wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:08 pm

No, no open or necrotic tissue. Thank goodness. It's just a good ole infection, right under the surface. Red and purple like a wicked bruise.
That is good news.