A new journey

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

A new journey

Post by Zedman05 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:42 am

On Thursday, I will be closing out the chapter in my career of working for the same company for 13 years. As a tradesman, it is highly irregular to be at one company longer than 7 years.
I decided to change things up and get some some more experience.
I couldn't really say no to waaay better benefits, a great work environment, better pay and a different scope of work I have wanted to get into for some time now.

I do a lot of commercial HVAC and refrigeration now that keeps me outside a lot. This may be nice in the summer, but this winter was another long and misserably cold one. My plan is to get more into building controls and automation to keep me off the roof tops more.

I am excited. My boss wasn't, when I dropped the bomb. The city is busy and thus companies are looking for good guys. My boss hasn't done anything to try to keep the great crew we have had in the last 8 years, and thus I am the last of that crew. I had a hard question posed to me; "why can't we keep the good guys lately". Being a small trade, I couldnt very well get the guy mad, so I side-stepped that landmine gingerly. Companies are offering more, with better choices. If you can't fight for your employees, you won't have any left for those customers you are trying to impress too much.

Long post, I know. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: A new journey

Post by Kip » Sat May 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Congrats on the move, man. I know it can be a scary time, even if it's on your own terms. Change is stressful, even if it's beneficial. Good on you. I hope it goes swimmingly.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sat May 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Opening new doors can lead to great opportunities, Zed. Good luck!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:47 am

Couple things: Long post? Really? lol
This is a great thing. I have never been happier professionally than I am after my last move. The trades can be rather grim but constant movement is generally a good thing. It benefits the workforce and the places of work. We're not in a specialty world as much anymore and learning to diversify your knowledge is a smart move.
Regarding your sidestepping action, I think it could have been shared exactly as you wrote it. You're not speaking directly at him, you're speaking to your understanding of the industry and being in it for as many years as you have, you certainly understand the ins and outs better than many. I use two sayings on a regular basis regarding business. "Maintain, don't just obtain" and "Proactive and not Reactive". Judging by your comments, I'd say that you agree with both.
Good luck, Adam. I don't think you'll need it though.