Dominican Republic Trip, version 3!

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Dominican Republic Trip, version 3!

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:03 am

Kip wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:39 pm
I'm tellin' ya....3 of the indicative mood tenses (presente, pretérito, and futuro) will get you a long ways. Then, grab pretérito perfecto, pluscuamperfecto, and condicional perfecto along with imperfecto. Those are useful. Follow that up with affirmative/negative imperativo. These are (anecdotally) the 9 most useful tenses in much of Latin America. The other 9 are less used - useful, but you can get by without total fluency.

The bane of my existence is the Subjunctive mood and its tenses. I hear them, and know what is being said, but can't seem to keep my head straight in the logic required to properly *use* it.

Also, with *very* few exceptions, "vos" and "vosotros" forms of verbs go unused in the New World. You'll never need it in the Caribbean nor most of Central/South America.

Another tip: irregular verbs trip a lot of people up. It's not as bad as it seems. Being derived from Latin, Spanish is very orderly and logical. There are irregular verbs, but they follow strict rules governing their construction. There are only a few *types* of them. ("o" becomes "ue", etc.). Learn these groups, then learn the specifics. You'll soon see the patterns and will know on sight when a verb conjugates in an irregular way.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk
Not kidding around; the only thing in the above paragraphs that sounds familiar form my spanish classes in high school was vosotros and vos. That's humorous.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:31 am

My boy has already said he will be taking Spanish in school next year (grade 7). I am so happy. I will get to learn along with him. School books coming home. Dad gets to thumb through them and figure things out, then have the kiddo tell me I am wrong. Heh

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Hey @Stewmuse - the north coast (including where we visit the beaches in Sosua/Cabarete) has been pounded by some crazy waves (15 ft.+). I've been seeing pics of a good bit of "missing" beach that has washed away, along with trees and some of the little shack businesses. The tide came all the way across the highway that goes through Cabarete. Interested to see what the area holds next time I'm over there. The Puerto Plata airport was closed the past couple days because the runways and terminal were flooded.

Apparently, a storm blew off the U.S. that caused the mess. It stayed well out to sea but sent irregularly huge waves ashore.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:08 pm

Kip wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:53 pm
Hey @Stewmuse - the north coast (including where we visit the beaches in Sosua/Cabarete) has been pounded by some crazy waves (15 ft.+). I've been seeing pics of a good bit of "missing" beach that has washed away, along with trees and some of the little shack businesses. The tide came all the way across the highway that goes through Cabarete. Interested to see what the area holds next time I'm over there. The Puerto Plata airport was closed the past couple days because the runways and terminal were flooded.

Apparently, a storm blew off the U.S. that caused the mess. It stayed well out to sea but sent irregularly huge waves ashore.
Let's just spend the week on the southeast coast next year. I'm sure we find "someone" with whom we can "work." ;)
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.