Just an FDA thought...

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Just an FDA thought...

Post by IWinchester » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Is there ever going to be a compromise with the FDA warning labels on boxes? There has to be. Look at any craft beer and see how beautiful that art is. And every beer has a surgeon generals warning on the label, just off to the side. If the top of a cigar box is free to be artistic, I wouldn't mind that 1 whole side was a warning. Thoughts?

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Re: Just an FDA thought...

Post by Zedman05 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Pfffft, you're dreaming. Good luck, as the rest of the world is your example. Welcome to the world of no rights.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Ian, I'm completely with you but we're fighting a losing battle. Doesn't this sort of a thing already exist in sticker form on the backs of some boxes stating "This product contains chemicals that, in the State of California, have been proven yadiyadiyada..."
If that wasn't satisfying enough, I doubt simplifying the nasty photos and monochromatic photo thought will subside. I mean, realistically would you look at the label of a beer first to see if you should be consumign it? I don't blame them if they think it's a losing strategy to consumer awareness.
Regardless, I'd love a sticker or "belt" if you may with a logo or sign over the box of cigars. Somethign that was completely visible but could be removed prior to consumption.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:12 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:Ian, I'm completely with you but we're fighting a losing battle. Doesn't this sort of a thing already exist in sticker form on the backs of some boxes stating "This product contains chemicals that, in the State of California, have been proven yadiyadiyada..."
If that wasn't satisfying enough, I doubt simplifying the nasty photos and monochromatic photo thought will subside. I mean, realistically would you look at the label of a beer first to see if you should be consumign it? I don't blame them if they think it's a losing strategy to consumer awareness.
Regardless, I'd love a sticker or "belt" if you may with a logo or sign over the box of cigars. Somethign that was completely visible but could be removed prior to consumption.
The "answer" is for the industry to have a secondary lid underneath the top one. They can put all the warning labels on the upper lid, which can be removed by the consumer, revealing the artistic/collectible box cover.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Stewmuse wrote:
kurtdesign1 wrote:Ian, I'm completely with you but we're fighting a losing battle. Doesn't this sort of a thing already exist in sticker form on the backs of some boxes stating "This product contains chemicals that, in the State of California, have been proven yadiyadiyada..."
The "answer" is for the industry to have a secondary lid underneath the top one. They can put all the warning labels on the upper lid, which can be removed by the consumer, revealing the artistic/collectible box cover.
Mike, I like that idea a lot!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:55 am

Stewmuse wrote:
I'd actually see it as the reverse. Make your outer box display and the inner have a non removable cardboard/plastic tongue that covers part of the cigars. Box art is intact, boxes are beautiful when closed but when you want to take a cigar out they're half covered by a warning. It is only paper/cardboard so it can be cut out if you're the owner but it can also be left in for retail. I'd like your thought Mike if I wasn't thinkign that the FDA probably wouldnt' like being cast aside that easily. An outer box can easily be discarded. Making a law that this needs to be displayed would give them pause on an outer disposable box/packaging, I'd think.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:17 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Stewmuse wrote:
I'd actually see it as the reverse. Make your outer box display and the inner have a non removable cardboard/plastic tongue that covers part of the cigars. Box art is intact, boxes are beautiful when closed but when you want to take a cigar out they're half covered by a warning. It is only paper/cardboard so it can be cut out if you're the owner but it can also be left in for retail. I'd like your thought Mike if I wasn't thinkign that the FDA probably wouldnt' like being cast aside that easily. An outer box can easily be discarded. Making a law that this needs to be displayed would give them pause on an outer disposable box/packaging, I'd think.
Tomato, tomahto....
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:14 pm

The rule requires a 30% cover of the "major" surfaces - both inside and outside. Yep...the lovely Fuente interior art will have to be obscured.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:29 pm

Right. Couldn't you make the case that the cigars are the major part? Hence my reason for a tongue or collar over portions of them?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:54 pm

I'll have to dig it up, but my recollection is that the language was unusually specific.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....