Sewage Trouble

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Sewage Trouble

Post by IWinchester » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Reposting this here so I don't eat up space on the Big Day thread.
IWinchester wrote:So our "big day" was yesterday morning at 4am when our plumbing backed up into our kitchen and bathroom...
Not just grey water, but shit water. Last 2 days have been a mix of the restoration company tearing out things and figuring out insurance. Happy to report my cigars (personal humidors and business humidors) are all safe, but a lot of other stuff was lost. Luckily my wife was on top of documenting everything, so we have pics to help with insurance.

The restoration people are blocking off our kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom, and hallway. The kids' bedroom was the only room not affected. Waiting to hear if insurance will pay for a place to stay, so for now we're at the in laws! Joy!

But don't worry, we're in good spirits here. Since we're all brothers here, figure sharing the good along with the bad is only fairImage

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Re: Sewage Trouble

Post by IWinchester » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:55 pm

So we got into a 2 room suite, then had to move to a different hotel even though the first one said they'd work with us on a timeline. We got word from the restoration company that we'll be out of our apartment for 6-8 weeks. When we told the first hotel, they had already sold our rooms. I love it when people don't keep their word. Long story short,every hotel on Bozeman is full b/c it's tourist season, but my wife sweet talked a manager at a different place and we can stay here until our apartment is done.

Also had a flat tire and a lice warning from our friends, so catching a break soon would be nice

The good news is we catered a wedding so there's money in the business account!

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:37 pm

Ugh... Relying on others can suck quickly. Good luck, man.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:07 am

Sorry to hear it, Ian. I hope it turns around quickly.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Bozeman....well you live in the heart of outdoorsman country.
You do need a break Ian. Good luck.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Back in the house on Tuesday. No kitchen except a sink held up with 2x4s and no bathroom except a toilet. Insurance deems that "livable" so back home we go

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Wow. I go mia for a month and you think its ok to renovate your home. NO BUENO!
Ian, I can't tell you how horrible I feel that this is going on. I've dealt with my fair share of these sorts of problems and know that they can be irritating, physically, emotionally and mentally. Hang in there and if I can help at all with the construction assistance, I'm more than happy to do so. Here's a tip I have: Insurance companies will dictate the terms of these projects only so far as you let them. If you manage to work with a contractor who says "we should do X", have that conversation with the insurance company and you WILL GET YOUR WAY. The adjusters have been (in my experience) willing to run the show or willing to have it run for them. It all depends on your level of comfort. If your wife thinks the walls should come out because they're damaged, get a bid for that service, present it to the insurance and state your desire. Do not get mouthy but do absolutely become assertive. Every restoration project I have run has yielded whatever scope my customers have requested; extensive or otherwise.
Good luck...

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:20 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:Wow. I go mia for a month and you think its ok to renovate your home. NO BUENO!
Ian, I can't tell you how horrible I feel that this is going on. I've dealt with my fair share of these sorts of problems and know that they can be irritating, physically, emotionally and mentally. Hang in there and if I can help at all with the construction assistance, I'm more than happy to do so. Here's a tip I have: Insurance companies will dictate the terms of these projects only so far as you let them. If you manage to work with a contractor who says "we should do X", have that conversation with the insurance company and you WILL GET YOUR WAY. The adjusters have been (in my experience) willing to run the show or willing to have it run for them. It all depends on your level of comfort. If your wife thinks the walls should come out because they're damaged, get a bid for that service, present it to the insurance and state your desire. Do not get mouthy but do absolutely become assertive. Every restoration project I have run has yielded whatever scope my customers have requested; extensive or otherwise.
Good luck...
Much thanks! The 2nd restoration company had been very helpful so far. Also, my wife is already assertive so things have been running pretty smoothly. I'll post some pics below.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:28 pm

My wife is at one of the biggest insurance companies here. Been in the business since '03. She deals with the brokerages and their people. My Mom, my Aunt, my wife and a few friends are all in the insurance business. Any questions here are handled before I get home. Heh.