Anybody use any of the peripheral Amazon services?

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Anybody use any of the peripheral Amazon services?

Post by Kip » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:10 pm

Just wondering...I know Amazon Prime is pretty popular. I can't take much advantage of the free shipping perks, but maybe the music streaming (which I realize is limited over their standalone per-month music streaming service) and videos. How is their library faring these days? We have had Netflix for years, but I was curious how Amazon had upped its ante with its movie/TV video service? I was considering switching over, but can't seem to see a sampling of what they're offering these days. Netflix has come on strongly with their inhouse studios; has Amazon kept stride?

Also, how about the Kindle Unlimited? Before we moved, I had a fairly extensive library with over 1,000 books - but I had to sell/give away all but about 100 before coming down. I strongly prefer a paper copy of a book, but it isn't very feasible these days. Do any of you use the Kindle Unlimited service? How is its library? I have a pretty varied range of interests, but not much into modern novels. Pretty much anything else is of interest at any given time.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Anybody use any of the peripheral Amazon services?

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Kip wrote:Just wondering...I know Amazon Prime is pretty popular. I can't take much advantage of the free shipping perks, but maybe the music streaming (which I realize is limited over their standalone per-month music streaming service) and videos. How is their library faring these days? We have had Netflix for years, but I was curious how Amazon had upped its ante with its movie/TV video service? I was considering switching over, but can't seem to see a sampling of what they're offering these days. Netflix has come on strongly with their inhouse studios; has Amazon kept stride?

Also, how about the Kindle Unlimited? Before we moved, I had a fairly extensive library with over 1,000 books - but I had to sell/give away all but about 100 before coming down. I strongly prefer a paper copy of a book, but it isn't very feasible these days. Do any of you use the Kindle Unlimited service? How is its library? I have a pretty varied range of interests, but not much into modern novels. Pretty much anything else is of interest at any given time.
Kindle books are quite well-stocked, from new titles to classics, from free books to full-priced ones. I own a Kindle but do all of my reading on the Kindle app with my iPad. As for video, via movie or TV, they also have a really good selection, although I couldn't really watch any of them when I visited you. I don't if that's something that can be changed. Again, lots of free stuff and rentals.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:02 pm

I would not say that Prime Video is better or a replacement for Netflix but it does have a lot of good original content and in general the items are different from Netflix (we have both). I do not have kindle unlimited because I do not read enough to make it economically feasible (I tend to wait until books are on sale on the kindle before grabbing them so I have multiple in waiting at any given time). They also started Prime reading which has a limited selection but they are included in the prime membership so not an extra cost. The music service is good but we subscribe to google play music and previously napster. Prime music is getting better and would probably cover 80-90% of the music you would want to listen to. If you wanted to check just rattle off some music I can look it up and tell you if it is up there on prime.
Another thing on Kindle is that I believe we can "lend" you books so that is always an option also Kip to keep you reading.
Just some thoughts from what I have experienced.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:50 am

I am on the opposite side of the Netflix/Prime video discussion from Jay. I prefer Prime. I like its versatility. There are things that are on Prime that have yet to come to Netflix (new releases) and you have the ability to purchase and use Amazon Web storage as your online catalog. It works in tandem with your amazon apps on other electronics and can bridge devices if you purchase something on one machine and view on another. I like the interface better with Prime; much. I like the search better. I tend to like Amazon's programming better, too. Bloodlines, Man In The High Castle, Catastrophe, Grace and Frankie, are all excellent Amazon only productions. Netflix seems to be a little more focused on types of entertainment they provide. The four titles I listed from Prime span the table of modern drama, historical drama, modern 1 camera comedy, traditional comedy. If you'd want to preview what Amazon has to offer I'm more than happy to give you our login info to check it out and see if it has a few things you're interested in having. Just say the word.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:58 am

That's weird. Grace and Frankie appears on Netflix as a Netflix Original....

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:08 pm

I stand corrected. It is a Netflix program. Well, everything else I said should be listened to. <YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHINGGGGG>

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:21 pm

You can always go back and edit your post and act like I'm an idiot...

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Hmmm, sounds just like the genre that Craig would be watching all of the time :lol: