Other pocket stuff...

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Other pocket stuff...

Post by Kip » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:49 am

So, aside from cigar paraphernalia, I carry a few other items in my pocket every day. One of the things I missed the most and needed constantly while prohibited (by working in the prison system) was a pocket knife. I have a box full of them, but this guy is my everyday carry. It's a Case mini-trapper that I bought as a teenager. As with most things, I'm more utilitarian than collector - but I have always really loved this knife. Anybody else a pocket knife carrier? Other EDC items that always find themselves in yer pockets?
case.jpg
case.jpg (175.19 KiB) Viewed 4758 times
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Re: Other pocket stuff...

Post by IWinchester » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Can. Of. Worm!
I love the idea of EDC. For me it's my seiko mechanical (no battery and water resistant to 100m), my SOG knife, my wallet(perfect for cards with a built-in money clip) and my "bare essentials" emergency kit with band-aids, a razor, rubber bands, fire starter, h2o purification tabs, matches, aspirin, and fishing hook and 10m of 10# test. And of course my phone.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 am

I have an older version of this that I have carried for probably the last 20 years. I am on my 3rd one in 20 years with one being lost in the middle.

https://www.leatherman.com/squirt-es4-2 ... 1#start=21

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Post by f.sinagra » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Aside from a wallet, this is the only legal thing (size on the blade in your palm) you're allowed to carry in NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:02 pm

I've always been a knife guy. Always. When I was a kid it was a progressive series of small single blade generic units, progressing through larger blade, generic mini-swiss armys, first victorinox, first real swiss army type, first generic multi tool, legit porsche design (with cutter) SAK, the Leatherman's that I gave out as wedding favors to my groomsmen, a hand-me-down/heirloom that my dad gave me with a gold wolf design (weird he had something so showy. Not him at all) to FINALLY just switching to a removable blade metal boxcutter. I lose knives sometimes but the reason for the final switch was that I was building homes. When you build, you're everywhere, doing everything. My knives started meaning something to me and you cannot use anything special on a jobsite. First of all, tools walk. Second of all, tools are for working, not maintaining. When I'm in an attic, in 30" of clearance and need to cut out an exhaust duct to a fan that's kinked just above the soffit, I use my small knife. When you drop the knife onto the soffit material 25' in the air and can't reach it, youre f'ed. I lost so many knives either to chipped blades, abyss type holes, random disappearances, etc that I had to switch out to an easily accessible, easily replaceable, single hand operation box cutter.
I just can't carry a knife without using it. I don't want to use my knives like a wildman with no other option and I want to be able to not hesitate when I reach for my greatest tool. Well, 2nd greatest.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:42 am

In continuing this thread (there are quite a few things that can be found in my pockets any/every day), here's another item that I've come to appreciate quite a bit. I bought this last year and it's a space saver, keeping keys hemmed up in a small space (small pocket knife size) and holding my cutter. I *really* like this thing....

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:39 am

Kip wrote:In continuing this thread (there are quite a few things that can be found in my pockets any/every day), here's another item that I've come to appreciate quite a bit. I bought this last year and it's a space saver, keeping keys hemmed up in a small space (small pocket knife size) and holding my cutter. I *really* like this thing....

I have heard nothing but praise for that key holder. If it wouldn't have been an ex-boss who so strongly recommended I get one, I probably would be the proud owner of one myself. Alas, it's lost in the depths of hell, in terms of how I think of it now.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:47 am

I was unwilling to pay the price until they had a Black Friday deal for half price....but looking back now I'd buy again at regular price ($22-23US if I remember correctly).

It's a bit of a hassle to assemble if your eyes aren't young, but not bad. The ease of use and slim profile (in and out of the pocket) are fantastic properties for me. I always hated fighting with a keychain that, by design, runs perpendicular to the keys and is very un-feng shui in the pocket. Also, having learned where each key is located on the KeySmart enables me to blindly pull it out and flip out the appropriate key....so when my arms are loaded, I can still easily open the gate or door. I was ridiculed by my local cohorts when I bought the thing, but they're on board now.

Its also expandable with longer posts - up to 100 keys (in case there are any custodians reading this).

I'm a fan.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:48 am

Oh...also....there are quite a few knockoffs, and I can neither vouch nor denigrate them. I'd definitely recommend not getting one of the plastic ones though. The metal seems like it'd be much more durable in something you carry/use/drop every day.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:52 am

Here's the piece I mentioned
IMG_2025.JPG
IMG_2025.JPG (90.19 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
and my next contribution: Business card holder
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (92.43 KiB) Viewed 4720 times