Greener pastures....

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Greener pastures....

Post by Kip » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:41 am

I believe I've mentioned the phenomena before, but the pricing at my regular cigar shop o' choice has continued to go up. I'm not a frequent shopper these days, but I am typically pretty loyal. My favored Quesada España corona has gone from about $4.25 in bundle qty a year ago to $6 now. Yes, I know that's still quite competitive for what's available stateside...but it's still a big jump. And, the jump has been mostly across the board. Some cigars I could buy reasonably a year ago are now outside my comfort zone.

This presents a quandary. The other two competitors in town are Tres Reinas (mostly limited in selection to Quesada products, and the products of their partners) and a brand new shop that is still launching (which as of yet has a very limited selection, although I know the owner and the prices on what he has so far are very good). The other thing I can do is set up an account with a public shipping company here in Santiago that will receive orders stateside and deliver them here for a reasonable fee. If I maintain the Buyers' Club membership at Tampa Humidor this would be a winner. I already have this ability for shipments through another company, but they won't handle tobacco orders. As long as orders are under $200, they can be brought in tax-free.

I feel like I'll have to just be rogue and play the field for the time being. This seems weird, because I've always had a "home" shop....one that was my go-to for most of my buying. Even in Florida, when I visited dozens of shops around the state while traveling for work, Tampa Humidor was the source of 90%+ of all my day-to-day purchases.

I guess I'll just "shop around" going forward until some better option presents itself.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Geener pastures....

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:13 pm

It's an incredibly difficult topic but have you discussed the price changes in the past year at all? I don't think I'm speaking out of turn when I say that originally I remember your eyebrow being raised at how "good" the cost of a few of the offerings were. Is this reality catching up or are you seeing a loss of loyalty to the customer from their perspective? Loyalty might be a presumptious term here. A business' pricing is solely the owner's discretion. If prices are raised outside your comfort zone, it was their choice to do so and yours to pay them (or not). No one should have a false sense of being owed something here. BUT if this was a "bait and switch" situation, that would be cause for alarm.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:15 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:It's an incredibly difficult topic but have you discussed the price changes in the past year at all? I don't think I'm speaking out of turn when I say that originally I remember your eyebrow being raised at how "good" the cost of a few of the offerings were.
Not out of turn at all. I was impressed indeed. I'm pretty sure I've at least mentioned it in passing, but maybe not. It's been in my mind since summer (1st noticeable sudden increase), until now (2nd, larger difference on the receipt).
kurtdesign1 wrote: Is this reality catching up or are you seeing a loss of loyalty to the customer from their perspective? Loyalty might be a presumptious term here. A business' pricing is solely the owner's discretion. If prices are raised outside your comfort zone, it was their choice to do so and yours to pay them (or not). No one should have a false sense of being owed something here. BUT if this was a "bait and switch" situation, that would be cause for alarm.
I was speaking of my loyalty to a shop in that I liked to mostly shop at one spot. None of what I said was meant as an indictment toward the store - I'm very much a free market capitalist :D . They're free to charge whatever they like, and I'm free to buy or not....no hard feelings nor bad taste in my mouth. I don't suspect any kind of bait & switch thing, either. My guess is, the reality of their expensive appointments and ongoing additions of amenities (high end drinks, some food options, increased staffing, regular live music, etc.) and importing cigars that aren't generally marketed here are catching up with them and there's a realization that more dinero is required to maintain their desires for the shop. [Well, that and it's owned by a Davidoff exec, so price doesn't always follow conventional wisdom with the Big D.]. The only thing in the whole situation that irks me is that they now always charge the extra 10% above and beyond the price+tax - this is a restaurant tax here that is supposed to go to waitstaff (it almost never actually does). Originally, this was not collected. Maybe it is now because of the limited food offerings - but generally, I'm not buying food/drink. In other similar establishments, an order "para llevar" (to go) means this isn't charged. These guys insist on it with every purchase. It's an automatic 10% increase in the price, that I'm certain doesn't go to waitstaff (because I walk in, grab what I'm buying, and leave...no staff involved except the guy who rings me up).

Because we're dealing in text here and not the spoken word, I realize there's no body language nor literal "tone" to the conversation. I'll reiterate - I have absolutely no ill-will nor bad feelings toward the shop. It just may not be a good fit for me in terms of longterm, daily-smoking-supply purchases. I'll not hesitate one bit to go over on occasion and buy a cigar or two, have some coffee, and play some dominoes with the local folks.

While I don't shop for the absolute rockbottom, barato cigars - I do try and get the best bang for the buck on what I'm interested in smoking. A peso saved is a peso toward the next cigar :P. I just need to be conscientious to shop wisely, and anything more than the occasional 1 or 2-stick purchase may not be the wisest choice from this store.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Kip wrote:My guess is, the reality of their expensive appointments and ongoing additions of amenities (high end drinks, some food options, increased staffing, regular live music, etc.) and importing cigars that aren't generally marketed here are catching up with them and there's a realization that more dinero is required to maintain their desires for the shop. [Well, that and it's owned by a Davidoff exec, so price doesn't always follow conventional wisdom with the Big D.].
If this were the sole content of your post I would be happy to leave it be and nod my head in a likely correct bit of agreement. Unfortunately it is not. I don't know the managers of that shop and can only formulate my own opinions based upon what I do know. They have potentially been involved in methods of business which have seemed unsavory previously (my words alone), thus making me double-take when it comes to anything that seems to have a negative connotation.
Kip wrote:The only thing in the whole situation that irks me is that they now always charge the extra 10% above and beyond the price+tax - this is a restaurant tax here that is supposed to go to waitstaff (it almost never actually does). Originally, this was not collected. Maybe it is now because of the limited food offerings - but generally, I'm not buying food/drink. In other similar establishments, an order "para llevar" (to go) means this isn't charged. These guys insist on it with every purchase. It's an automatic 10% increase in the price, that I'm certain doesn't go to waitstaff (because I walk in, grab what I'm buying, and leave...no staff involved except the guy who rings me up).
This isn't a little thing. This is an annoyance and a blatant (and deniable) attempt at lining their pockets for the short term. It smacks of dishonesty leaves a rather bad taste in my mouth. It's off-kilter methods like this that make me shake my head. It's not worth taking issue with this from a legal perspective because it's so easy to deny wrongdoing. It would be easy to talk around in circles about how it is the government mandating that "tax" and not the owner, while simultaneously lining their pockets. While it could be logical that it is just a misunderstanding that you're being charged every time, I don't believe it for a second.
Kip wrote:Because we're dealing in text here and not the spoken word, I realize there's no body language nor literal "tone" to the conversation. I'll reiterate - I have absolutely no ill-will nor bad feelings toward the shop. It just may not be a good fit for me in terms of longterm, daily-smoking-supply purchases. I'll not hesitate one bit to go over on occasion and buy a cigar or two, have some coffee, and play some dominoes with the local folks
I don't think I share your neutral perspective. I see this as a negative (to me alone) and would have it tint my own perspective was I in your position. I think I'd maintain them as a contact for when I wanted something specific and not as a relationship beyond that. They would be a tool I would use as necessary, just as I was to them. I wouldn't look to take business away from them or disparage them to others (far from it), but I would certainly only keep them at an arms length and keep them as a resource for what is otherwise not available.

magste
Thor Down Under

Re: Greener pastures....

Post by magste » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:03 pm

In regard to shipping I get all my US cigars sent to Shipito and they send it on to Australia for me. Their postage rates are good and there is no ongoing fee to have an account. I'm sure they send to DR as well. Sometime I get a reply saying my chosen carrier doesn't ship cigars but then I just choose another option (USPS, DHL, TNT, UPS).

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:30 am

I checked Shipito, but their rates to the DR were pretty steep. There are some companies that specifically bring things here and you just pick up your package at their office when it arrives. My cohorts tell me it's very reasonable but I haven't gotten the chance to get the specifics yet.

Shipito quoted me the following for a 1-pound, 12"x12"x6" box....the $11.57 would be good, but cigars wouldn't do well waiting 20-45 days :)

Sent from cigar country via smoke signal...

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: RE: Re: Geener pastures....

Post by Kip » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:37 am

kurtdesign1 wrote: I think I'd maintain them as a contact for when I wanted something specific and not as a relationship beyond that. They would be a tool I would use as necessary, just as I was to them. I wouldn't look to take business away from them or disparage them to others (far from it), but I would certainly only keep them at an arms length and keep them as a resource for what is otherwise not available.

Yeah, that's where I'm at, too. And it's a shame, really, because the shop is 1 mile from my house and is a great place to hang out. The others are only about 3 miles away, but involve a trip into town and the various pitfalls of Santiago driving. Sounds like a small thing, but every minute I'm not driving in this city is a good one.

Sent from cigar country via smoke signal...

magste
Thor Down Under

Post by magste » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:28 am

I use the Airmail Economy all the time to Australia (Ive found it escapes customs more easy that way :-) ) Ive had about 20 shipments without any cigar being bad even if it takes 3-4 weeks.