Dominican Republic visit - REDUX!!!

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Dominican Republic visit - REDUX!!!

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Our hostess, Ramona, doing her magic in her exceedingly rustic kitchen. She does also have an old gas stove and sink, but the larger pots and bowls use this semi-outdoor clay stove. Rice, plantains, eggplant, and chicken were all made out here for about a dozen people.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (218.54 KiB) Viewed 4306 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (153.01 KiB) Viewed 4306 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (218.56 KiB) Viewed 4306 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:48 am

Stewmuse wrote:A few more Day 1 pics...
I see a Robaina Unico & Cuaba Distinguidos on that table. I venture that you enjoyed the Unico more... Cuaba can be a bit of a "That's it?" type of marca.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:48 am

Stewmuse wrote:And this for Craig. Had some avocados with supper. A little milder and sweeter, but still fine. Sorry, man...
First of all, you're a dick. Second of all, had you ever eaten one before? My lasting memories are of watered down, blah avocado flavor. If there's something more to legitimately ripe "florida" avocados, I'm down with trying them. Until then though, they still suck!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:49 am

Stewmuse wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxcBYaKH3tc

Come take a ride with us!

Dominica Day 3. Our concreting mission was aborted today because steady rain. But hey, at least it was a hard and dangerous drive up the mountain. The road has always been difficult with large ruts and potholes, but now you have the added benefit of mud, small streams, and areas where the road has been washed away or covered by slides. It's always a treat to drive a 7foot wide truck on an 8 foot wide turn where when you look out the window there is no road to be seen, just the 200 foot drop over the edge. Wheeee!
I watched your video last night on facebook, fully expecting to look at rain and mud and click off of it in 20 seconds. After it ended on its own I sat in shock for a second or two. That was a legitimately transporting video! I'm not quite sure why but hearing you guys talk and the sounds of water and followign the moving (or not moving) nature outside the truck was really encapsulating. Thanks for shooting.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:13 pm

DR Day 4. Still lots of rain, but coping okay. Set off to deliver water filters today and had a 50% success as we were blown off. The place we did get to was gorgeous in its scenery. Behold...
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (280.06 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (329.01 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (372.58 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:15 pm

A few more in a similar vein... I'll type in more detail about today later.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (289.1 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (275.81 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (202.3 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:30 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Stewmuse wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxcBYaKH3tc

Come take a ride with us!

Dominica Day 3. Our concreting mission was aborted today because steady rain. But hey, at least it was a hard and dangerous drive up the mountain. The road has always been difficult with large ruts and potholes, but now you have the added benefit of mud, small streams, and areas where the road has been washed away or covered by slides. It's always a treat to drive a 7foot wide truck on an 8 foot wide turn where when you look out the window there is no road to be seen, just the 200 foot drop over the edge. Wheeee!
I watched your video last night on facebook, fully expecting to look at rain and mud and click off of it in 20 seconds. After it ended on its own I sat in shock for a second or two. That was a legitimately transporting video! I'm not quite sure why but hearing you guys talk and the sounds of water and followign the moving (or not moving) nature outside the truck was really encapsulating. Thanks for shooting.
Thanks, Craig. This mountain road is ridiculous and is getting worse daily with washout ruts, loose edges to the road and corners, and general slipperiness. I told Kip that with the additional rain, i wouldn't go all the way back the main house in Palo Alto because there are a couple of spots that are just too scary and if you don't get your positioning right or slide the wrong way, you're gone down the cliff. That is not hyperbole. The distance we went today was much more doable, but could still snap an axle or take out an oil pan at any time.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Mike's getting his first taste of Dominican béisbol .... and the required hotdog/popcorn consumption...

Sent from cigar country via smoke signal...
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:13 pm

He's serious now....Águilas cap and all....

Sent from cigar country via smoke signal...
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:26 am

Just a quick picture of the caps (Cibaena Aguilas) from last night, plus the packaged filters that we deliver and show how use. These things are amazing, with a 10-year life and low maintenance. They simply attach to a 5-gallon bucket where the collected, unclean water is placed. Gravity provides the water pressure that pushes the water through an extremely fine filter. The simple ability to have clean and free drinking water provides immense health and financial savings. The older couple to whom we delivered a filter yesterday live in the forest about 150 feet below the main roadway, with their house only being accessible by a narrow dirt path. As it had rained much and was raining on (mostly) and off while we were there, that dirt path was less than stable. We had to help Esther (the 70+ year-old woman who lived there) up the trail so she could be driven down the mountain for a doctor's visit. This was something she absolutely could not have done without help.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (217.64 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (225.09 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
Last edited by Stewmuse on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.