Car fixin'

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Car fixin'

Post by Kip » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:17 pm

Got the starter out. Tried it connected to its wiring but unmounted and it doesn't work. No rotation nor actuation of the solenoid.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:39 pm

OK...so I tested the starter and solenoid with jumper cables and a screwdriver. It works. That means...since I know the battery is good...that it's either a bad relay, fuse or ignition switch. When day breaks I will be back at it.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:19 pm

Hmm. Now is the time I sit and stare blankly into space, puzzled. Here are the knowns:

1. Starter, when tested with raw feed via jumper cables & screwdriver = operational
2. Power being fed to the starter (through testing both main battery feed and ignition switch feed when in "on" position) = 12+ volts
3. Weird part....with starter wired into its feeds, but not bolted in place = no function
3a. Considering #3, I'd have guessed the lead between harness and solenoid to be bad - it is the only untested item in the circuit based on #1-3. But, its continuity checks out. Why the frack will it work with raw leads lying on my driveway but not with its proper feeds (which test good) on the vehicle?!?!

Is it possible that the windings/brushes of the starter motor are "somewhat bad"? Meaning, it works, but not strongly enough to turn the flywheel?

Other tidbits:
The teeth of the gear seem fine.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:15 pm

Sorry for the voluminous posting in this thread. It helps to write things out...

I figured out the above issue. I hadn't completed the circuit when testing the starter wired/unmounted. Once I did that it worked.

I hope I reassemble it tomorrow and it all works because there was a dirty connection that's now clean, elsewise there's a good chance something bad is wrong (I.e. seized engine, etc). I know there's oil in it. Still concerned. If that's the issue, I'll be selling a kidney next week in case someone is in the market.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:43 pm

Look at Mr.JackHandy over there in the DR. You are welcome to come fix anything we have problems with here too if you want. It was a balmy 65F today. The temps have been dropping like a rock since last week. :/

Cigar F^iend

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:22 am

I put the starter back into the truck. It still won't start, although it attempts to - there's a very slight rotation (I can see the fan blades turn just a bit). I believe either the starter is too weak, or its working now but I've worn down the battery with all my experimentation

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:11 pm

Took it back out and disassembled it. It was toast. Bought a new one....and I'm back in business!

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:50 pm

Very good, Kip. Worrying about something that is pretty essential is definitely a drag. Good luck...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Nice!! Solutions make me happy

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:37 pm

Kip wrote:Sorry for the voluminous posting in this thread. It helps to write things out...

I figured out the above issue. I hadn't completed the circuit when testing the starter wired/unmounted. Once I did that it worked.

I hope I reassemble it tomorrow and it all works because there was a dirty connection that's now clean, elsewise there's a good chance something bad is wrong (I.e. seized engine, etc). I know there's oil in it. Still concerned. If that's the issue, I'll be selling a kidney next week in case someone is in the market.

I'm confused. Why would you feel the engine was seized based on previous happenings? If things only "worked" with the started after you undid, then redid things, wouldn't the connection be the issue, not the resistance imposed from a seized crank? With the electrical happenings you experienced I'd bet long on them being the culprit and not the latter. It just rings of coincidence if that's the case rather than the simplest and most likely solution. Though, what the hell do I know? I'm just padding my post count. Right Zed? :lol: