Car fixin'

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Car fixin'

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:38 pm

Kip wrote:Yeah, my Dad was always my backstop for car stuff...until we moved to Florida. I remember well when shortly after moving I had some trouble with my Jeep. It was a sudden, harsh realization that I'd moved 700 miles from the guy who'd always saved my bacon when there was car trouble. I spent a lot of hours on the phone for his technical services over the following 14 years until he passed.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Thankfully my dad is still alive. I recognize the luxury of that and mean no offense.

It's thoughts such as what you've got above that are the most sobering when we lose someone. I'm lucky to still have my parents but have lost friends and relatives through the years. Small insignificant, yet resonant memories seem to be where the people we love the most live on. I cherish the details and am sure you do too.
Good luck with your current predicament. If it was brakes, fuel filter, oil, coolant or freeze plugs I could be of service. Electrical systems are not for me. I know what I can handle. That leaves everything else under the "somebody else" category.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:51 pm

Starter is weak or the connections inside have burned up. I see this on a few pieces of equipment I work on. The coil is getting the voltage, but not the amp draw it needs. It inevitably burns up the stator.
I wonder if that battery just doesn't have the CCA that it should ( cold cranking amps ). As you say, it might have been a refurbished battery.
The other thing is; is that alternator pushing the correct amount of output power back to the battery as well ?
Are the battery terminals tight ?

Hitting the starter will help if the teeth have a flat or broken spot, yes good call, but if it just can't get the amp draw, it won't produce the torque.
Is the vehicle a standard ? I imagine it is. Push-start it to make sure the engine turns over and runs well in the first place. You can check the voltage output if you had a meter. Make sure there is oil ! Heh.

Cigar F^iend

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:54 pm

Terminals are tight - and just in case, I put new ones on.

I tested with a known good battery from Nick's SUV.

There is oil.

I have a multimeter and can test the alternator return once it's running again. Not standard...it's an auto

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:02 pm

Do the interior lights dim when trying to start ? If they do, then the starter is at least drawing amps. If not, it is most likely that the starter is not even turning.

Cigar F^iend

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:06 pm

I can fix our broken washing machine, I can even fix our tv when it went black, but cars have a few more parts and pieces that baffle me sometimes.
My kids honestly think I can fix anything, it's hilarious how much of a haze they live in

Cigar F^iend

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: RE: Re: Car fixin'

Post by Kip » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:18 pm

Zedman05 wrote:Do the interior lights dim when trying to start ? If they do, then the starter is at least drawing amps. If not, it is most likely that the starter is not even turning.

Cigar F^iend
No. That was the first check I did (with headlights on, no dimming). The starter isn't turning.

I took off my wheel and pulled down the splash apron. I think with enough time I can get it out. Then, it's just the adventure of a trip to an auto parts store....you wouldn't believe me if I told you about auto parts stores here. Think Bombay street market with 200 Spanish auctioneers all going at the same time

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:19 pm

Pahahahaha. Sounds like what is going to happen when Craigs wife makes him sell his cigars !

Cigar F^iend

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Zedman05 wrote:Pahahahaha. Sounds like what is going to happen when Craigs wife makes him sell his cigars !

Cigar F^iend
:shock:

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:29 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Zedman05 wrote:Pahahahaha. Sounds like what is going to happen when Craigs wife makes him sell his cigars !

Cigar F^iend
We all can see that day looming, and I for one will be sad too.....yet happy if I can have the chance to throw down a bid on some of that stuff....just sayin'.
$12 for those Monte's from the mid 80's, and $24 for the stuff from the mid 2000's.

Cigar F^iend

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:19 pm

Zedman05 wrote:
kurtdesign1 wrote:

Cigar F^iend
We all can see that day looming, and I for one will be sad too.....yet happy if I can have the chance to throw down a bid on some of that stuff....just sayin'.
$12 for those Monte's from the mid 80's, and $24 for the stuff from the mid 2000's.

Cigar F^iend
You're going to hell