Careers

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Careers

Post by Kip » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:43 pm

I agree. Looks like Craig is on his own :)

...sent by smoke signal from Cigar Country
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:39 pm

Craig; I feel for you. As a tradesman I have come to understand the drudgery of office work and getting "stuck". I almost never have the same job to go do each morning. I understand that comment of doing different jobs within your proffession, and it getting tedious. I too have wondered if I am destined or at least meant for something else. My biggest problem is that I like what my carreer and the guys I work with, but to leave this job I would leave a lifestyle I am not upset with right now. I have thought many many many times about selling everything and moving to Costa Rica and be out of this rat race, but hey, I don't "have the stones" that Kip has I guess.
The biggest factor in your decision, is going to be the kids. Now that you are a "responsible parent" you are forced to make a bigger decision. In North America our decisions are not cheap anymore, and to make a change is something that must be planned and at least thought out for a while.
My one piece of advice would be that you need to make a decision and go with it. Don't stutter, don't hesitate, and don't look back. You will only look back and see mistakes when you need to focus on the future.

Cigar F^iend

TomD
Tatuaje. Black.

Post by TomD » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:43 pm

Ive been doing the accounting thing for 23yrs. Huge educational commitment, masters degree and CPA. Everyone feels burn out from time to time. If your miserable then leave, but if just a little burned out push thru. I dont have any desire to take a huge pay cut. I dont want a ton of toys but I do want to retire with a nest egg.

So yeah you're screwed.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:01 am

As many of you know, I blended my own cigars in 2008 in a passive attempt to create my own brand. I gave away samples and tried to shill them to local shops. I didn't know what I was doing and didn't even really have the paperwork in order, but I loved the idea of it. The reality was a very different animal. I hated that my favorite pasttime was now sullied by the anxiety about having to sell & make this a business. I quickly realized that to taint my favorite hobby wouldn't be worth it. Cigars needed to be a respite for me, not another source of the feelings we get from the things we feel are a necessity.

I have no delusions of thinking that a career in something I like will be nothing more than a career centered around something I enjoyed before. I don't want a rally cry to push me to "follow my dreams". On the contrary, I think I'm just looking for a pat on the back and the forum to let a little frustration out. I know I'm not at a good firm. That doesn't mean I HAVE to throw it all away. It also doesn't mean that I'm committed to sticking it out. It just means that I know this isn't the right spot and I AM committed to finding a better one. A workplace where my boss likely doesn't remember my name but instead always calls me "Numb Nuts" might not be the best environment...

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:39 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:A workplace where my boss likely doesn't remember my name but instead always calls me "Numb Nuts" might not be the best environment...
As a HS sophomore, my chemistry teacher had a penchant for calling me a lunkhead. Of course, he did always do so as "Stewart, you lunkhead!" so he's one step up from Craig's boss.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Re: RE: Re: Careers

Post by Zedman05 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:52 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote: A workplace where my boss likely doesn't remember my name but instead always calls me "Numb Nuts" might not be the best environment...
That is the epitomy of professional. Love it ! If it wasn't for the environment to be semi-professional, I would love it there. I am the guy that responds well to fucking around in the work place but still keeping things professional at the same time.
That is simply CLASSIC.

Cigar F^iend

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: RE: Re: Careers

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:54 am

Zedman05 wrote:
kurtdesign1 wrote: A workplace where my boss likely doesn't remember my name but instead always calls me "Numb Nuts" might not be the best environment...
That is the epitomy of professional. Love it ! If it wasn't for the environment to be semi-professional, I would love it there. I am the guy that responds well to fucking around in the work place but still keeping things professional at the same time.
That is simply CLASSIC.

Cigar F^iend
Unfortunately, this isn't a joke. It's a bad attempt to sound cool by jabbing people. The problem is, he doesn't know where the line is. I'm numbnuts because I had a vasectomy. Our office manager is Flow because she gets bad PMS. He doesn't speak to clients out of spite. He uses me as a conduit to tell his wife nasty things (she owns a business we hire as subcontractors). It's not jokes. It's a lack of understanding of social & professional acceptability.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:39 pm

I still think it is hillarious. I'm sorry. I am not laughing at your issue, just the fact that the guy is brazen enough to go about it like that. Sounds like I have found my sarcasm-diety....heh.

Cigar F^iend